Transmission Malfunction - O/D Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Malfunction - O/D Off

Hi All,

Like the title says, I got this message on my truck yestersay. Its an 05 with the 5.4 and about 42,000 miles (no more warranty). I searched for this and it seems like everyone that had this problem was mudding or driving hard and had something hit them underneath. I was on a smooth highway doing about 50 mph and this message popped up. When I started the truck this morning, there was no message and everything seemed fine. Should I be concerned or is this just some sort of anomally?

Also, lately when I shift into reverse, it seems like it takes a while for the tranny to engage. Could this be related somehow?

Any ideas on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The only way to know where to start is to find out what the code is. The only way to do that is to find a shop that has a quality code scanner that has the ability to read transmission codes. The freebie places like Autozone and such don't have the ability.

Come back with what the code was and we can start troubleshooting

Darrin

Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
My 06 F150 5.4 with 32k miles. First I lost second gear then a 10 sec delay going into drive. Maybe 10 miles worth of driving the way it was. Take it to Ford the next morning and they tell me the tranny is fried. Thank god I got the ESP warranty. New tranny, new tranny cooler and rental car all covered under warranty. Cost me $100 for my ded. Just got my truck back today. Warranty on the new tranny now is 36 months or 100,000 miles.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Response

i just got hit with the same problem. just driving normally and the all the sudden "transmission malfunction" what ever happened from this?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
^^^

Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
The only way to know where to start is to find out what the code is. The only way to do that is to find a shop that has a quality code scanner that has the ability to read transmission codes. The freebie places like Autozone and such don't have the ability.

Come back with what the code was and we can start troubleshooting

Darrin

Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
To the OP-did you resolve your issue? I just ran across these errors today and the OBD2 scanner I used didn't give me any tranny codes.

In my case the tranny was working fine and there were not real physical symptons. Also, after we turned the truck off we haven't seen any more 'malfunction' messages or o/d light flashing so I am wondering what the deal is...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would still find a scanner that's capable of reading the tranny codes just to make sure you don't have a problem that's going to come back and bite you in the butt.

Quick Reply: Transmission Malfunction - O/D Off