Neutral Safety Switch??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutral Safety Switch??

I have done some searching and i just cant find anything to help me. I have been having problems starting the truck in park or neutral. I have to switch back and forth between the 2 until i get lucky and the truck will start. So i have been told by a guy at autozone that chances are the neutral safety switch could be going out. well my first question is, where is that at? I can find the part all over the internet but nothing that tells me where it actually is. lol
my second issue is when im under the truck (found this out by accident and scared the heck out of me) i can actually bump...literally bump or tap...the shift rod and it takes the truck out of park and it started rolling! obviously i dont think this should be happening. so my question is, what is wrong here...is this all caused by the neutral safety switch? or do i have something wrong with the shift linkage that allows it to be bumped out of gear and messing up the sensors reading as well?
please someone help because sometimes i have literally sat in the truck for 5 minutes going back and forth with the gear shift trying to get the truck to start...kind of a bummer when your in a hurry. lol

Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 PM
You have any luck repairing this. I have been searching for this same thing and cant find anything besides the neutral safety switch is next to the transmission. I havent had a chance to get under my truck yet, but im hoping it is a quick and easy swap out.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 PM
i havent been able to find any more info on it and havent had the chance to work on it either. been some very busy weekends lately. ha

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a procedure for adjusting the Digital Transmission Range Sensor. If it is out of adjustment it will not properly sense any of the gears including Park or Neutral and you will not be able to start the truck.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what jmc said!

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch??