99 4R70, asking just to be sure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4R70, asking just to be sure!

First post here guys, I did a bunch of searching and looking on all kinds of sites, and well I'm not quite sure what's up.

Here's the situation. 99 4x4 4.6 base work truck. So it started out having issues shifting into OD. it would hold the shift really long and then either slide in, or neutral out. Changed the fluid, filter etc. Nothing odd in the pan, was fairly clean, nothing more than I have seen in other trucks. Shortly after that it simply neutrals out every time it try's to go to OD. No clunk, high rev etc just neutrals. Was flashing a code, but the trans shop deleted it before telling me, and then I forgot to ask after he told me it was shot and 2k for a rebuild. So after scratching my head, and driving home with OD off, I figured i should research this. So in self diagnoses, it will down shift into second manually, and runs fine in third. No slipping and pulls hard through all the gears. People stated if it's the clutch pac it will not downshift?

So short of getting a replacement to put in, what else could be wrong with this thing. What should I check to be sure? Also before I drop the pan again, what should I be looking for? I've heard the OD snap ring let's loose sometimes? Appreciate all your help, just hoping it's something simple!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How many miles are on that truck? Have you done much in the way of maintaining it? Sounds like the transmission shop isnt pulling your leg the transmission needs to come out be taken apart might have lost the od clutch or some thing. Do all that and might as well overhaul it. You could look in the local want ads and see if there is someone repairing them out of there garage. My brother inlaw does that.. 400 bucks plus parts he fixes almost any transmission..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck only has 85k on it. It was a farm truck, and when I purchased it a year and a half ago I changed out all the fluids as I figured it hadn't been done. The truck is in great shape other wise, doesn't appear to be abused. Also looks like it hasn't been in the mud either.
I hear you on the rebuild, was just hoping or wondering if it could be something else is all. I have a buddy that will pull it and rebuild it for $1400, but I only paid 2k for the thing so was just not wanting to dump money more money in it as it's just our materials truck. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know...

If the OD band (there is no OD clutch) is shot then you wouldn't have good engine braking in manual second gear. Same goes for any potential issue with the OD servo. IF the OD servo and OD band are not at least working then you won't have engine braking in manual second.

SO....

You said that it will downshift and have manual second gear. What happens when you are in manual second and let off the gas pedal? Does it engine brake or does it neutral out?

The answer to that will tell you something.

Darrin

Quick Reply: 99 4R70, asking just to be sure!