What 4r70w transmissions fit a '95 F150 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
To the best of my knowledge - the ONLY automatics offered in the 95 F-150 were the 4R70W and the E4OD, which are both electronic.

The 91 E-150 could have had an E4OD. I'm just guessing here, but could it have had an AOD or AODE?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for all your helpful input and advice. The trucks door jam has a "U" code for the transmission, which indicates it originally had a 4R70W tranny. The engine did suffer a thrust bearing failure due to the torque converter.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksunday74
Thank you for all your helpful input and advice. The trucks door jam has a "U" code for the transmission, which indicates it originally had a 4R70W tranny. The engine did suffer a thrust bearing failure due to the torque converter.
Ah, that was what I was wondering. That makes it pretty much impossible that there is a transmission out of a 91 E series in there unles the truck has been modified to get rid of the electronic control of the transmission and that ain't the easiest thing to do.

Do you still need help on what will fit?

Darrin

Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Sorry, I made a duplicate post somehow???

Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes I do, please. I've already bought the engine (a reman 5.0) and I just want to get the right trans in so I won't have to go through this again. A guy has a 4r70W out of a 95 cougar and he thinks it might fit. I looked at some pix of a 4r70w online and I'm going to see his tranny on saturday. But any help you can give me will still be appreciated, thanks again for all you help.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Let's start out with finding out what is in the truck now. Is there any way you can count the pan bolts or even take a picture to post up to show us?

But, let's assume that it is a 4R70W. If so then the one from a 95 cougar will fit both physically and electronically. Not a great transmission though. Unfortunately nothing that will fit straight in without changing something is going to be a great transmission, so that one is about as good as any from that standpoint.

Darrin

Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Another question. Does the torque converter change from one transmision to the other? Is it possible that one converter has a longer shaft that can push the crankshaft too far forward?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Ok, I'll get a picture and post it, just give me a few minutes.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Crap, sorry couldn't get a clear picture. I tried with my phone but the picture cam out real dark. It does have 14 bolts on the oil pan and it says "METRIC" on it.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Another question. Does the torque converter change from one transmision to the other? Is it possible that one converter has a longer shaft that can push the crankshaft too far forward?
Nope, in this case the converters are physically interchangeable within this transmission family. What I mean by that in this particular case is that you can use any 4R70W converter in any 4R70W as long as it has the correct bolt pattern for the flexplate. Even then the spec that you are talking about is the same. The only thing the wrong bolt pattern will cause is an inability to mate the converter to the flexplate.

So it isn't at all likely that the "wrong" converter or transmission were what casued the thrust bearing to fail. More likely what happened is that the converter ballooned and took out the thrust bearing. Normally that happens from either exceeding the rpm limitations of the converter or from excessive internal pressure in the converter.

I think you have been put on the wrong track here on a couple of things, so I suggest a mental reset on this. Leave all of what you were previously told aside as being either partly or completely wrong and start over fresh with accurate information instead.

The accurate info that we have right now is that your 95 5.0 2wd truck originally came with a 4R70W from the factory and that you had a failure that took out the thrust bearing on your engine.

Darrin

Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Crap, sorry couldn't get a clear picture. I tried with my phone but the picture cam out real dark. It does have 14 bolts on the oil pan and it says "METRIC" on it.
On the drivers side of the transmission itself there is a casting number. It's right behind where the shift lever enters the case and there will be a Ford logo right above it. That number will be something like RF-F4AP-7005-AB

You might have to get in an odd position to see it and you might even have to use a mirror to get it, but that number would be darned handy to have right now.

Darrin

Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I know what kind of trans is in the truck. I found the receipt for the trans filter and gasket kit that I replaced last year. I went on the advance auto parts website and entered the number, it matched a 1991 E150 econoline van. The trans is an AOD (FIOD) transmission.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
I know what kind of trans is in the truck. I found the receipt for the trans filter and gasket kit that I replaced last year. I went on the advance auto parts website and entered the number, it matched a 1991 E150 econoline van. The trans is an AOD (FIOD) transmission.
Yeah, that can't be right. The AOD isn't electronically controlled and the computer in the truck would be having a total fit. The only way to get that done would have been to either swap in a manual computer or re-tune the auto computer to ignore the automatic transmission functions. Then they would have had to run a cable for the AOD and several other things that I doubt happened.

FYI, using the Advance Auto website for technical info is slightly less accurate than using Wikipedia if you want anything accurate.

But let's say that it might be an AOD by some weird happenstance. If it's an AOD there won't be a few things that I think that you will find if you get under your truck.

For example, on the drivers side of the transmission you won't see a sensor that looks like the one in the link below.

http://bcatransmissions.com/properalignment.jpg

If that is there then you absolutely do not have an AOD.

As soon as you see that sensor I am going to have to repeat my request for a mental reset. You need to forget what you thought you knew and start over. Otherwise we are wasting our time here.

Darrin

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Ok, I can get those numbers and check for the sensor. I can do a mental reset on all the info I've gotten, I just want to make sure I have this right. Thanks for all your help and patience.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok, I can get those numbers and check for the sensor. I can do a mental reset on all the info I've gotten, I just want to make sure I have this right. Thanks for all your help and patience.
Man, with that attitude I will help you figure out whatever I can help you out with. I don't mind doing that at all.

It's just hard fighting that uphill battle when someone on either side of a problem gets their head hung up somewhere it shouldn't be and I am just as guilty of it as anyone else. That's why I like to start over and establish facts whenever there is a hint of that happening whether its on my end or someone else's. I have learned to drop back and try not to let what I think I know rule the process.

In this instance someone might have gone to all the trouble of putting an older transmission of a different type in your truck. I don't know for sure. What I do know is that I am not there to see it. I can't definitively say anything for sure because of that, so I have to rely on you to be the eyes and tell me what you see. I will do my best to tell you what you are looking for. Hopefully that pic helps.

By the way, in that pic you can also see the casting number I am asking for. It's to the right of the sensor under the Ford logo.

Let me know
Darrin

Quick Reply: What 4r70w transmissions fit a '95 F150 2wd?