Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Transmission low on Fluid No leaks

Hi I checked my Transmission Fluid the other day to find it not registering on the dip stick. I looked to see if there are any leaks but found none. I put in 1.5 liters of fluid and had it registering on dipstick. Checked a few days later and again does not register on stick and I have no leaks. I am very puzzled . I also notice that at 100km/hr the truck seems to vibrate like the wheels are unbalanced. I think the transmission might be on the way out. Any suggestions.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
What year truck and transmission? You're checking running, hot in park?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM

How do you check and even change the fluid in 2009 f 150 tranny
Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM

The truck is a 1998 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 liter engine. I have added an additional 3 liters and appears it has disappeared as well. It looks like the filler tube is rotted. Could it leak out there and then get burnt off with the exhaust. I was also told it could be going into the transfer case if a seal is blown between tranny and transfercase. I am at a loss, i have checked the coolant and it does not appear to be in the radiator. Thanks for the help
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Remove the transfer case fill plug and let it drain to see how much it is over filled.

Transmissions have vents I think. Perhaps it is blowing out during operation.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM