Transmission ID ???

Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission ID ???

I'm new and not to quick anymore but I have a question I just bought a 2004 f150 4x4 and have a shutter in overdrive if going up a hill and don't kick down to a lower gear so I wish to have the oil changed but I don't know what transmission is in the truck so I don't know what fluid to use, I was told at auto zone that the wrong fluid will ruin it and I can't afford that (73 and on social security) so can anyone tell me what tran I have?? the VIN is 1FTPX14524FA03443 THANKS, Dallas

Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If I were you, I would take it to a quick lube place and have all the fluid exchanged. They will know which one to use.

I bet your problem is spark plugs though, that is a common symptom when the plugs need to be changed.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
THANK YOU Mr. Bluejay Altho I would still need to know what fluid to buy to take to them I can save some and get a good brand. The plugs were changed about 45,000 miles ago but I don't know what brand, the garage invoice says change plugs and apply anit-seize at 2/16/09 from the previous owners records, seems he kept up with the maintance and recalls.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
All 2004 F-150's take "Mercon V" with Motorcraft being the best. A complete exchange will take about 14 quarts.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If I were you, I would take it to a quick lube place and have all the fluid exchanged. They will know which one to use.
In my experience, no, they do NOT know what fluids to use. They often use whatever is convenient.

When I was between houses for a while I didn't have a place to work on my vehicles. I went to a quick lube for an oil change. One of my vehicles requires 5W30. The tech tried to sell me 10W30 because it's better. I declined, and asked the manager to explain why 10W30 is better than 5W30. He gave me the correct explanation that it is important to have the RIGHT oil, not just a higher number. He also promised to talk to the tech and set him straight.

A few days later I brought in another vehicle that required 5W20. That same manager started to put 5W30 in it. When I asked him why he said 5W30 is better than 5W20. He already forgot the lecture he gave me on using the right oil. He seemed miffed when I insisted on 5W20. I haven't been back there, and never will.

And I've heard stories FAR worse than this. many quick lube places have one universal ATF that they use in everything that comes in the door.

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I bet your problem is spark plugs though, that is a common symptom when the plugs need to be changed.
I'll bet the original problem here is an ignition coil, not the plugs or the transmission.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 AM
Guys I'm a little red faced because of my ignorance, it says right on the transmission dipstick type V but I did find out from the piller post label that the transmission is code B which for a 2004 is the 4R75E that came from ford. I was misled by the local jiffy shop that they would backflush and refill with their house brand transmission fluid and put in some additives that would be better than called for but I got out of there and per most of you guys posts it is going in for plug/coil testing come Thursday at a well trusted shop. THANKS TO ALL for your help and I will keep posted on the progress.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
It is impossible to backflush an automatic transmission.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You also do not want any additives.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Got the problem solved, had a good shop check it out and Mr. Kovalsky you were right on the nose the garage said 3 coils needed replaced he put in some he had used and he knew were good and it perked right so I got a complete set and now it's "cured" A Hugh THANKS for all the posts You fellers know your stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission ID ???