M5R2 shift fork replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5R2 shift fork replacement

First I would like to say hello to everyone, I am new to the forum.

I had my 1 - 2 shift fork shear clean, and the 3 - 4 is almost gone, so I ordered both.

What I am looking for is some directions, and a diagram about how to replace the forks.

I also ordered replacement caps as well.

Also, does anyone have an idea how to do a clean flush to get the old fluid out since I assume it is loaded with shavings. I bought the truck a year ago, and I doubt anyone ever changed the fluid anyway.

What would be the best fluid to use? Heard B&M Slick Shift was pretty good. Any other ideas?

I have been doing a lot of work on this truck, already replaced the engine just months after I bought the truck, the pinion gear went, I was going to rebuild the axle, however, it wallowed out the hole, so I replaced it with another old axle, but still have the new ring, and pinion gear, I will probably get around to working on that in time.

Also, when driving, I feel a lot of vibration though the shifter, not sure if the U joints need replaced, I know how to replace all but the ones on the front axle, looks like one tough job. lol

Well, for now, just want to figure out the shift fork job.

Thank you,
Charles

Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Any ATF that meets Mercon V specs is fine for a M5.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Thank you

Thank you for that info, just wanted to make sure what to put in.

Originally Posted by glc
Any ATF that meets Mercon V specs is fine for a M5.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 PM
i just had the same thing happen to me, i took the tranny out and took it to aamco, they rebuilt the entire shift tower for 400. guy who did it says he didnt know why mine had aluminum shift forks, guess the 4.6 had cast ones, wierd, yeas good luck rebuilding it man

Quick Reply: M5R2 shift fork replacement