No drain plug on Torque Converter

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No drain plug on Torque Converter

Well I am trying to change the fluid on my 05 150 with the 4L75 and there is no drain plug on the torque converter.... been around the whole thing. Any idea's????

Under it now so help ASAP would be nice.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
got it.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Disconnect cooling line. Turn engine on. Let a quart or two flow out. Catch fluid in bucket. Turn engine off. Refill through dipstick tube. Repeat until fluid comes out clean.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Disconnect cooling line. Turn engine on. Let a quart or two flow out. Catch fluid in bucket. Turn engine off. Refill through dipstick tube. Repeat until fluid comes out clean.
X2, thats how i do it

Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by xplodn
got it.
I'm under mine now. So you are saying that you found it or you use the "disconnect return line method"?

I can't find mine either. Did they stop making them with drain plugs?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
They do not have a drain plug.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
TC drain plugs were discontinued sometime in 2001. It's a lot less hassle to take it in to a place that has an exchange machine.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Crap! I guess i'll have to take it in. I really dislike other people's hands on my truck. You know what I mean? *sigh*

Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah I found no plug. I had my Wife watch as I turned the motor. I just dropped the pan, replaced the filter and filled er back up. It wasn't that my fluid was dark, burnt or anything, it was in good shape I just wanted to has a base line on all the fluids in the new to me truck. I am still working on it all though, and to be honest I havent found anything odd or in need of it yet.... although my driveway does have a big stain from the ATF. Big as in about 2x2. I need to be more careful the HOA is all up on my about stuff like the stains and all my "Toys"

As for others doing work, I am the same way. I cant stand others even driving my stuff!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I use a cheap plastic tarp on the driveway when I do this to keep the oil off the driveway.

You could just remove the pan, change the filter and add 4 qts to fill and do it more often than if you changed all of it.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I have the same problem with HOA too. I did mine through the return line and not one drop on the concrete to change it out, made more of a mess when changing all the lines:o.
I have a drain plug but the return line method is slick. With a 6ft clear hose you can set your bucket on the front drivers corner and watch it from the cab when tapping in at the aux cooler/return line Alot easier then trying to catch it from the converter.

Snow

Old 04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by snownutt
I have the same problem with HOA too. I did mine through the return line and not one drop on the concrete to change it out, made more of a mess when changing all the lines:o.
I have a drain plug but the return line method is slick. With a 6ft clear hose you can set your bucket on the front drivers corner and watch it from the cab when tapping in at the aux cooler/return line Alot easier then trying to catch it from the converter.

Snow
What line specifically are you using? Got a picture? With my luck, I would hook up to the suction line and have ATF all over....

Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by xplodn
What line specifically are you using? Got a picture? With my luck, I would hook up to the suction line and have ATF all over....
I have the factory aux trans cooler over on the passenger side(not sure on yours) The little elbow on the right side of the cooler (laying under it looking up)that connects to the rubber line to steel... that runs back to the trans.
I just hooked it there on the elbow and ran the line through the tow hook over to the bucket. Used a small C-clamp to hold the line to the bucket.

Put a pan under the line that's left undone ..or plug it so it dosen't drip out on ya.

The return line up on the trans is a pain to get to(upper one),
so look for the easiest connection upstream to tap in .

snow

Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Here ya go

Changed all the lines, dropped pan, change filter and did fluid exchange .. . The two spots there were from the sprung leak and some dripping overnight from the cooler...had to wait for a line Not to bad considering..

snow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No drain plug on Torque Converter