Transmission diagnosis please

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission diagnosis please

2004 f-150 new body style 4.6L 3.55 non LS

I have been having a transmission issue for awhile now. Every once in a while if i am in overdrive and i step on it to pass or what not on the highway the engine will rev super high before going into gear and when it does the transmission hits really hard like it is engaging around 3k rpms(is this normal). It cannot be good for the tranny. Like i said that only happens when i am in OD and i step on it. Also it will hit hard (slam into gear whatever you want to call it) when i am stopped and get on the gas a little bit. It wont do this all the time but maybe 1/3 of the time i get on it. It will also do it when im going about 20 mph on a city street (13-1400 rpms) and let off the gas and it goes to idle speed(700 rpm) there is a distinct clunk. I found the tsp that talks about greasing the driveshaft and i think that will fit my starting and going slow problem but do you think it will fit the high speed clunk,hit, slam?

I talked to a ford tech and he said since the splines can slid in and out when i mash the gas the rear end squats and pushes the driveshaft up into the transmission and it hits something and that is where the thud comes from and he said greasing it would fit it. Is this true??

*I have a edge programmer set on lvl 2* It did it before and after this mod

Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I'm not a transmission expert by any means but I have the clunk on takeoff (97 F150 4x4) that is caused by the spline hanging up in the driveshaft/transfercase. As you said there is a TSB on that issue. If Teflon grease is applied to the spline then the problem usually subsides for a while but does come back. The problem you are explaining I believe is transmission related, something a little different. I would take the truck to a transmission expert and have them diagnois the problem before it gets worse and something breaks. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Transmission diagnosis please