Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
changing transmission fluid

I have a 2001 f150 screw with 86000 miles on it. I haven't changed the tranny fluid wanted opinions on weather to change or not. I've been told by several people not to change it that it will start slipping. Have any of you had any kind of problems changing fluid with a lot of miles on it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,286
Change it. Get a complete fluid replacement, not just a pan drop.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Missouri
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Posts: 6,172
Don't do it. When it fails 10k later you will regret this move!
__________________
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 6.0 PSD
Performance: EGR delete, SCT tuned, 3.5" straight pipe
Other mods: Nathan Airchime K5HA locomotive horns

Videos:
Nathan Airchime K5HA - short burst
Nathan Airchime K5HA - time delay
F150 Exhaust Borla true dual X pipe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfrog View Post
Don't do it. When it fails 10k later you will regret this move!
Are you speaking from experience on this?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dayton Nevada
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
Posts: 754
Dude just change the dam fluid. Not changing it will cause a problem. Drop the pan replace the filter and make sure you get the right filter IE 4x4 and 2x4 are different depths one has a longer pick up tube in the filter and this will kill your tranny if you get the wrong one for sure. Pans are deeper on the 4x4 as well. Don’t neglect the TQ. There is a rubber plug at the dead center bottom of the bell housing. Pull this black rubber plug out have some one on top crank not start the engine until you see the TQ drain plug. The 4x4 4r100 pan holds 7Qt's of ATF and the 10in 4x4 TQ holds another 7qts. "You will see slipping by not changing it FOR SURE" it’s a light hydraulic fluid it needs to be changed on a regularly basis NO BS!!! the whole thing said and done will take the average guy 30 mts max don’t waste time or money taking it to a dealer or a oil lube place as this is what they would do or maybe they would just flush the system by hooking hoses up to the transcooler and replacing what the take out. Screws that do it your self and know it was done right "peace of mind"
If you’re having sloppy shift replace the solenoid shift pack with out delay!!!
When filling it back up with Mercon ATF fill the pan up before starting it then add to it as she’s idling to fill the TQ. Before taking her on the road On level ground shift from park to 1 then back to park then from park to 2 then back to park then to Drive then back to park then to reverse. Then check your fluid again. This is the most accurate way of checking the real and not residual fluid level and is the exact same thing a transmission shop would do!! Trans must be at full operating temp to get a real fluid level check. Sense its hydraulic oil it expands and contracts with heat and cold.

Almost left this out when pulling the filter out MAKE SURE to get the rubber oring out that gos on the steam of the filter. If your transmission filter hasnt been changed in a long while it may be hard and you will need to gentley pull it out with a J hook pick and not a sharp *** screw driver. DO NOT SCARE THE INSIDE OF THE PICK UP BORE WITH A SCREWDRIVER !!!!!!

Last edited by nonwoven29; 02-04-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonwoven29 View Post
Dude just change the dam fluid. Not changing it will cause a problem. Drop the pan replace the filter and make sure you get the right filter IE 4x4 and 2x4 are different depths one has a longer pick up tube in the filter and this will kill your tranny if you get the wrong one for sure. Pans are deeper on the 4x4 as well. Don’t neglect the TQ. There is a rubber plug at the dead center bottom of the bell housing. Pull this black rubber plug out have some one on top crank not start the engine until you see the TQ drain plug. The 4x4 4r100 pan holds 7Qt's of ATF and the 10in 4x4 TQ holds another 7qts. "You will see slipping by not changing it FOR SURE" it’s a light hydraulic fluid it needs to be changed on a regularly basis NO BS!!! the whole thing said and done will take the average guy 30 mts max don’t waste time or money taking it to a dealer or a oil lube place as this is what they would do or maybe they would just flush the system by hooking hoses up to the transcooler and replacing what the take out. Screws that do it your self and know it was done right "peace of mind"
If you’re having sloppy shift replace the solenoid shift pack with out delay!!!
When filling it back up with Mercon ATF fill the pan up before starting it then add to it as she’s idling to fill the TQ. Before taking her on the road On level ground shift from park to 1 then back to park then from park to 2 then back to park then to Drive then back to park then to reverse. Then check your fluid again. This is the most accurate way of checking the real and not residual fluid level and is the exact same thing a transmission shop would do!! Trans must be at full operating temp to get a real fluid level check. Sense its hydraulic oil it expands and contracts with heat and cold.

Almost left this out when pulling the filter out MAKE SURE to get the rubber oring out that gos on the steam of the filter. If your transmission filter hasnt been changed in a long while it may be hard and you will need to gentley pull it out with a J hook pick and not a sharp *** screw driver. DO NOT SCARE THE INSIDE OF THE PICK UP BORE WITH A SCREWDRIVER. DRIVER!!!!!!
It a 4R70W on his truck - NOT a 4R100. 4x4's use the same tranny as 4x2's, including the pan volume, and the exact same TQ. Prove me wrong here - I'm listening.

And - how does this procedure ensure ALL the fluid in remaining in the tranny's many hydraulic circuits get replaced? Answer - it DOESN'T. There's a total of ~13 quarts in there - a pan drop and TQ flush doesn't account for all of that.

And the CORRECT Fluid is MERCON V.

OP - just follow GLC's advice & you'll be fine. Do NOT let the fluid go this long again. Do not let them run the flushing chemicals though.

Good luck.

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-04-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dayton Nevada
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
Posts: 754
So thatís why when you go to a parts house they show 2 different filters for the 4r100 LMFAO different depths Iíve seen them my self .I only made reference to the 4r100 never said thats what he has LOL READ first. So I was off a QT maybe on total capacity so sue me. I was trying to help a guy out. I shouldnít even be fighting with PC nerds LOL But when in ROME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDfan View Post
It a 4R70W on his truck - NOT a 4R100. 4x4's use the same tranny as 4x2's, including the pan volume, and the exact same TQ. Prove me wrong here - I'm listening.

And - how does this procedure ensure ALL the fluid in remaining in the tranny's many hydraulic circuits get replaced? Answer - it DOESN'T. There's a total of ~13 quarts in there - a pan drop and TQ flush doesn't account for all of that.

And the CORRECT Fluid is MERCON V.

OP - just follow GLC's advice & you'll be fine. Do NOT let the fluid go this long again. Do not let them run the flushing chemicals though.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonwoven29 View Post
So thatís why when you go to a parts house they show 2 different filters for the 4r100 LMFAO different depths Iíve seen them my self .I only made reference to the 4r100 never said thats what he has LOL READ first. So I was off a QT maybe on total capacity so sue me. I was trying to help a guy out. I shouldnít even be fighting with PC nerds LOL But when in ROME
Fighting? Nope. You do not even begin to present a viable challenge.

Just correcting potential harmful misinformation.

Fer'instance... Mercon in a Mercon V application is gonna pecker that tranny. That helps the OP how?

FYI - the TOPIC was a tranny in a 2001 F150 Screw - so offering advice for a 4R100 is kinda pointless, don't you think? That helps the OP how?

Ignoring all the leftover old fluid in the tranny? That helps the OP how?

So - perhaps it is you who needs to read first, then, hopefully, comprehend what it is that yer reading? Waht's next? Offering Chebbie advice on a Ford forum? lol

This ain't Rome, and there are not 'PC nerds' here

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,286
A 2001 may or may not have a TQ drain plug. If it does, you can get close enough to a complete replacement by dropping the pan and pulling the plug. If not, use a fluid exchange machine WITHOUT flush chemicals.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
I've decided from the posts on here I'm going to have it changed but no flush. I think the horror stories Ive heard about changing fluid probably came from people that were having trouble before the change and blame on the change. Thanks for the replys.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Missouri
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Posts: 6,172
^ I know a few people personally in which this is not the case. Just my .02, do with it what you shall...
__________________
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 6.0 PSD
Performance: EGR delete, SCT tuned, 3.5" straight pipe
Other mods: Nathan Airchime K5HA locomotive horns

Videos:
Nathan Airchime K5HA - short burst
Nathan Airchime K5HA - time delay
F150 Exhaust Borla true dual X pipe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Butler, Pennsylvania
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 FX4
Posts: 1,448
I changed mine when I first got the truck (129,000 miles on it) and have changed it once a year since then. Not sure if it was ever changed before though. I've put about 31,000 miles on since I've had it without one tranny problem. All I do is drain the TQ, change filter and gasket and fill it back up. Never had a flush done to it. When I drop the pan there's very little shavings on the magnet so that has to be a good thing right?

Worst part about the whole thing is the mess it makes unless someone's put a drain plug on the pan.
__________________
Matt

Built Ford Tough, It's Not Just a Slogan.
Gryphon with Custom Tunes
2" Level
Harley Headlights
Harley Style Taillights
Saleen Grille
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Alberta
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 1,654
Send a message via MSN to Paralyzer
changing transmission fluid in a high miled transmission will not cause it to fail...in fact it usually helps its performance. Transmission fluid has a "seal swelling" addative that when replenished actually helps piston seals seal better improving shift quality. New fluid will also bring down temps because the viscosity is higher then old worn out fluid.

the funny thing is when people find out that there fluid is dark and smells burnt, then they get a trans flush and when the tranny fails they blame the fluid
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 AM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordģ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details