No dipstick in 2010 F150's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol I agree for the most part... and a lol to your quote

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by n3up
I think part of the reason for all the annoying (to some of us) gadgets on new vehicles is consumer lawyers.

The majority of consumers are sadly, idiots. Those of us who were taught by our fathers (or mothers) about the need for basic vehicle maintenance are a minority these days.

Pretty soon your car will be so overloaded with idiotproofing that it won't move if the tire pressure is too low, or if the loaded weight exceeds the GVWR.
Maybe it won't even start if you haven't changed the oil on schedule....

I feel my intellegence is insulted every time I mow my lawn. Why should I be punished by having to hold that stupid bar down all the time because I'm intellegent enough to know not to put hands of feet under the mower while it's running??

Sorry for the rant, but somebody had to say it...

If the manufacturer thinks it's best to not put a dipstick on it, then they should check it for free when you bring it in....

If the guy who actually worked on my vehicle at the dealership actually got paid most of the $100/hour they charge for labor, maybe I wouldn't mind so much....

After the warrantee is up, not one of my vehicles ever goes back there.

Finding a good shop that you trust to not rip you off is the best way to go.
The guy I use for state inspections and stuff I can't or don't want to do my self actually asks me if I want to fix it myself when he finds something on an inspection now....
I agree!!! LOL!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
theres a lot of vehicles that dont have transmission dipsticks..so what..just take it to the dealership so you dont screw something up..thats a pretty stupid reason not to buy a vehicle you are really looking into just because it doesnt have a transmission dipstick.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:48 AM
?

Originally Posted by ManualF150
The reason there is no dipstick on a manual tranny is because the fluid is just used to lubricate the synchros and gears, it is not under pressure like in an automatic.

But there is no such thing as a "lifetime" transmission.
how about the guy with the million mile van?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
The reason there is no dipstick on a manual tranny is because the fluid is just used to lubricate the synchros and gears, it is not under pressure like in an automatic.

But there is no such thing as a "lifetime" transmission.
there are manual transmissions with dipsticks..a guy i work with has a 1997 saturn coupe and it has a dipstick

Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
how about the guy with the million mile van?
maybe he doesnt think that is "lifetime"

Old 12-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
theres a lot of vehicles that dont have transmission dipsticks..so what..just take it to the dealership so you dont screw something up..thats a pretty stupid reason not to buy a vehicle you are really looking into just because it doesnt have a transmission dipstick.
If you don't have a dipstick you may not know the fluid is low until the transmission is destroyed. Eventually, everything starts leaking. The manufacturers are trying to get you to take the vehicle in for all of the service. I try to do all my servicing myself. It's cheaper and I like doing it.

If you don't mind spending several hours taking your vehicle in to get the fluid checked when you could have done it yourself in a couple of minutes, then I guess we just don't think alike.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:37 PM
i see waht you are saying..we do think alike..i like saving money and servicing my stuff myself.

BUT saying you arent gonna buy a vehicle because it doesnt have a transmission dipstick is stupid...seeing as most of the cars now come without dipsticks.

if i am really set on buying a new f150 and everything is how i want it..and i find out it doesnt have a transmission dipstick im not gonna tell the dealer "oh well nevermind it doesnt have a transmission dipstick"

Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Actually what I said was, "Something I will consider when I buy another car or truck.", and this is true.

I prefer Ford trucks, but I am not a blindly loyal fan of any brand.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Audis, BMWs and Merc's I can see not having trannie dipsticks because people who can afford to own one can afford to have someone service it for an hour.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Wow Auto transmission without a dip-stick??? What's next? No oil dipstick?

Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Had an 09 come in for trans issues today, ive got some nice burn marks on the back of my hand from checking the trans fluid on it(hot converter)...im not impressed with this new setup one bit.

Anyways turns out it need a mechtronic unit which is basically a fancy name for a valve body with more electronics. A nice $2500 peice(and thats OUR price) Id hate to see what the retail price is on that baby...Oh and for the record the trans is $6500(also dealer cost!) Hope none of you even need a trans off of warranty!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
Had an 09 come in for trans issues today, ive got some nice burn marks on the back of my hand from checking the trans fluid on it(hot converter)...im not impressed with this new setup one bit.

Anyways turns out it need a mechtronic unit which is basically a fancy name for a valve body with more electronics. A nice $2500 peice(and thats OUR price) Id hate to see what the retail price is on that baby...Oh and for the record the trans is $6500(also dealer cost!) Hope none of you even need a trans off of warranty!

Dang, I'll stick with my old 02 forever I guess. Those prices are ridiculous!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I guess I should get under and check the transmission fluid level as well now that I have learned where to find the dipstick.

I have a 09 F150 5.4L 6spd tranny 70K on it. Just over the last couple weeks I have noticed bit of a jerking from the transmission.
This is happening at normal operating temperature and not necessarily when starting off cold.

The best way to describe it is when I am going about 45 mph and need to slow down and coasting at about 40mph then when I try to accelerate again there seems to be bit of a delay in engaging the gear, hence I feel a bit of a jerk.

Any advice here, should I replace the tranny fluid and filter.
Also, is it best to stick with the Ford brand Mercon LV, or ?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:26 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Do a complete fluid exchange with LV-compatible fluid. No need to drop the pan and change the filter, just have it done with an exchange machine.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for your input glc,
I assuming you mean a fluid flush. It is too bad that the tranny pan does not have a drain plug so we can just change the fluid at home. Locally a flush runs about $230 from the dealer (ouch).

Quick Reply: No dipstick in 2010 F150's?