No dipstick in 2010 F150's?

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Look for an exchange, not a flush - the terms are often used interchangeably, but it's not the same. A flush uses flushing fluid and a machine pumping it through the transmission - not a good idea. An exchange uses a passive machine, it's done with the engine running to pump out the old fluid and draw the new fluid in. If you go someplace other than the dealer, make sure they have LV fluid, don't let them use "universal" ATF.

The jerking MIGHT be a low grade misfire - with 70k it's getting near the time for new spark plugs.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for clarifying that glc, this is the first I heard of exchange method.
Good to know, as I have also heard that flushing is not good.

I will also look into the spark plugs. Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Anyone know the part number for this dipstick? (6R80 trans in 2009 f150) I think the dealer kept mine when they performed the TSB for the leaky bulkhead connector, because I crawled underneath to check the fluid and unscrewed the plug but there was no dipstick inside!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Ok some im on the fence with the exchange or flush of my tranny. My 09 fx4 has 70k on it. The book says lifetime filled or 150k. Every time I bring the truck in they want to do the BG service for it. Now he wants to do the tranny, rear end and transfer case. I know these mechs don't make the price the dealer charges but hes really pushing the up selling thing to the point its crazy. The last time he wanted to do the brakes which I told him I would do and I did those so that was no issue. My question is since the Ford manual says 150k if something goes wrong before then with out doing the flush or exchange is ford liable for the repair? I see it as ford sealed it to keep debris and any other crap from getting into it and causing an issue. Also most of my mileage comes from highway and only tow a few times a year so nothing extreme.

Whats everyones view on the transfer case and rear end. Those I havent looked up in my manual.

The thing the worries me most about this ford mech is when he suggested the trans flush I said I thought that was a 150k and filled for life and he looked like how does this guy know that. I did have him check the truck for any updates computer wise and he found one so I let me do that which he said was a shift point update. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
glc
At 70k I'd consider a trans fluid exchange (NOT a flush), I prefer to do that about every 60k. Diffs and TC should be done at 100k.

My question is since the Ford manual says 150k if something goes wrong before then with out doing the flush or exchange is ford liable for the repair?
Nope, not unless you are still on a powertrain warranty. However, you do need to see if there is a different interval for "severe service".

Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by glc
At 70k I'd consider a trans fluid exchange (NOT a flush), I prefer to do that about every 60k. Diffs and TC should be done at 100k.

Nope, not unless you are still on a powertrain warranty. However, you do need to see if there is a different interval for "severe service".
So would the bg service they offer be an exchange?

I have to 100k on my warranty.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
glc
The BG service is probably a flush with chemicals, but it doesn't have to be. This is a profit center and is not necessary or desired. An exchange is simply that - use the machine passively and let the transmission pump exchange the fluid. You can have ANY shop do an exchange as long as they use fluid that meets specs. In your case I believe that this would be "Mercon LV", check your owner's manual.

They cannot void your warranty for not changing the fluid before 150k unless you fall under "severe service" conditions, and a shorter change interval is required.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:03 PM
What is lifetime?

Originally Posted by nditech
Ok some im on the fence with the exchange or flush of my tranny. My 09 fx4 has 70k on it. The book says lifetime filled or 150k. Every time I bring the truck in they want to do the BG service for it. Now he wants to do the tranny, rear end and transfer case. I know these mechs don't make the price the dealer charges but hes really pushing the up selling thing to the point its crazy. The last time he wanted to do the brakes which I told him I would do and I did those so that was no issue. My question is since the Ford manual says 150k if something goes wrong before then with out doing the flush or exchange is ford liable for the repair? I see it as ford sealed it to keep debris and any other crap from getting into it and causing an issue. Also most of my mileage comes from highway and only tow a few times a year so nothing extreme.

Whats everyones view on the transfer case and rear end. Those I havent looked up in my manual.

The thing the worries me most about this ford mech is when he suggested the trans flush I said I thought that was a 150k and filled for life and he looked like how does this guy know that. I did have him check the truck for any updates computer wise and he found one so I let me do that which he said was a shift point update. Thanks for the advice everyone.
After recently buying my 2010 F150 Lariat 6spd 4x4 Supercab with 192K miles on it I, as many others, found no tranny dipstick! So, after many forum threads, YouTube vids, etc it became very clear that I had no idea whether my truck trans had ever been serviced in it's entire lifetime! I even have a complete CarFax report that doesn't mention anything about it. Lots of stuff about oil changes, service, etc., but nothing about the trans. So, with so little info to go on I've contacted Blackstone and as soon as the kit arrives I'll send some of the fluid off for analysis so I can see what I'm dealing with before I decide what to do. Like the famous saying, "knowledge is king".
If any of you folks out there have anything to add I'd sure appreciate it.
Great forum!!!
Darrel (Deke)

Old 07-06-2022, 12:22 AM
glc
I would get an exchange with Mercon LV just to be safe. There is a sort of dipstick under the filler plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No dipstick in 2010 F150's?