No dipstick in 2010 F150's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The 2010 replacement interval for tranny fluid is 150k. Why bother checking it?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
The 2010 replacement interval for tranny fluid is 150k. Why bother checking it?

I would never leave it that long. The lack of a dipstick really isnt a concern but that also means filling the thing if you do any kind of maintenance could be a hassle.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:00 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The vehicle makers' dream is a sealed hood.

Looks like Ford switched everything over to LV in 09.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The vehicle makers' dream is a sealed hood.

Looks like Ford switched everything over to LV in 09.
Yep, that is what my owners manual calls for.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
@Patman03SprCrw, so I take it that you see more and more of this happening in the future...even to vehicles that are more likely to break and require maintenance in the field and on the job?
Yup even the whole driveby wire thing. No need for a computer to control a motor on the throttle plate, when a simple cable and TPS was doing just fine

Old 12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2005 Dodge Magnum car does not have a dipstick. I thought it was just those crafty Germans doing crap like that. The Magnum transmission with the v8 is a Mercedes transmission. I have to take it to the dealer to get the fluid checked. Something I will consider when I buy another car or truck.

Are you listening Ford?

of all the things i wouldnt buy a vehicle for...that isnt on the list. the manual trans i know you fill it up until it runs out the fill hole. like a rear end. and there is another hole to drain it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Yup even the whole driveby wire thing. No need for a computer to control a motor on the throttle plate, when a simple cable and TPS was doing just fine
from what i understand drive by wire got ride of the iac valve, it used the throttle body now, ergo saving money, same and the lack of dipstick, less money only 2 inches of metal verse 5 feet... and the whole non-serviceable thing...

Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
the new audi's don't have trans or engine dipsticks...welcome to the future of idiots...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by BrizzleOrizzle
of all the things i wouldnt buy a vehicle for...that isnt on the list.
Maybe you take your cars to the dealer for everything, but I try to avoid ever taking my cars to the dealer or any mechanic. I just took my Magnum to the dealer to get the trans fluid checked because it was a little slow going into drive one night. At first they were going to charge me $20 and then relented and did it for free.

My wife's Mitsubishi's auto trans has a dipstick that is marked add and full for hot fluid and for cold fluid. It's so fxxking simple to do this for all cars.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by BrizzleOrizzle
of all the things i wouldnt buy a vehicle for...that isnt on the list.
Maybe you take your cars to the dealer for everything, but I try to avoid ever taking my cars to the dealer or any mechanic. I just took my Magnum to the dealer to get the trans fluid checked because it was a little slow going into drive one night. At first they were going to charge me $20 and then relented and did it for free.

My wife's Mitsubishi's auto trans has a dipstick that is marked add and full for hot fluid and for cold fluid. It would be so simple to do this for all cars. They are trying to force people to take their cars to the dealer for everything.

Another thing you may think stupid is that I consider the headlights on all the time feature . I hate it(except for motorcycles). I think it's a waste of energy and an insult to my intelligence.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Roadie
Another thing you may think stupid is that I consider the headlights on all the time feature . I hate it(except for motorcycles). I think it's a waste of energy and an insult to my intelligence.
My old Tahoe had that "feature". The lights only turned off when the emergency break was on...so I threw a toggle switch in there. My brake light was on all the time, but my headlights weren't

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
I understand that the engine computer can save me fuel, but sometimes I don't want to save fuel...I want to punch it and let the dollar bills fly out the tail pipe

*tries to push thread back on rails*
I hope that someone in the auto business wakes up and decides to make a truck that the owner can service again. Yes, you can include a computer for tire-pressure, roll-stability, traction control, etc. Just let us turn those off if we want!! Oh an please give me my wonderful cable-driven throttle back!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
So I was looking through my Ford manual tonight and discovered that the new 6-speed automatic transmission attached to the 5.4L engine has no dipstick?!?! I know I can monitor the temp from the instrament panel...but really? No dipstick? Further down it says that only a certified dealer should check and flush the ATF if necessary.

Not that I plan on doing this myself right now, but I would really like to know how to check and change the ATF if necessary.

Maybe I'm wrong (and in this case I hope I am), but it seems that this is a HUGE oversight...

Does anyone have any insight into why Ford doesn't include a transmission fluid dipstick?

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 PM

*points up* looks like spam to me

(notice the FREE MOVIES! in the signature)

Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by sharonk868
Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I think part of the reason for all the annoying (to some of us) gadgets on new vehicles is consumer lawyers.

The majority of consumers are sadly, idiots. Those of us who were taught by our fathers (or mothers) about the need for basic vehicle maintenance are a minority these days.

Pretty soon your car will be so overloaded with idiotproofing that it won't move if the tire pressure is too low, or if the loaded weight exceeds the GVWR.
Maybe it won't even start if you haven't changed the oil on schedule....

I feel my intellegence is insulted every time I mow my lawn. Why should I be punished by having to hold that stupid bar down all the time because I'm intellegent enough to know not to put hands of feet under the mower while it's running??

Sorry for the rant, but somebody had to say it...

If the manufacturer thinks it's best to not put a dipstick on it, then they should check it for free when you bring it in....

If the guy who actually worked on my vehicle at the dealership actually got paid most of the $100/hour they charge for labor, maybe I wouldn't mind so much....

After the warrantee is up, not one of my vehicles ever goes back there.

Finding a good shop that you trust to not rip you off is the best way to go.
The guy I use for state inspections and stuff I can't or don't want to do my self actually asks me if I want to fix it myself when he finds something on an inspection now....

Quick Reply: No dipstick in 2010 F150's?