Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM

2004 FX4 - 4X4 Not Engaging

Hi All,
My 4wd switch doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does not indicate 4WD in cluster and does not engage. There seems to be quite a few fuses and relays related to this but before I start replacing relays does anyone know of a common problem with this?
Thanks
Gord
Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford - Saleen FX2 - S331
The first thing I would do, its to check for codes. Then go from there. But if you already removed and replaced fuses, make sure they are all there and with the same amperage
Old 11-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks. None of the fuses needed to be replaced and they had amp per specs.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Its your transfer case which engages your four wheel drive, I had to replace mine last year.. It would not go into 4x4 high or low and none of the lights came on. I would go to the dealership or where ever you get your truck fixed and I bet thats the problem. If you have warranty it will be covered other wise its around a $280 part.

| 2006 XLT 5.4 | 4x4 | 2.5 AS leveling kit | AS AAL | Volant CAI |
| PHP Gryphon Custom Tunes | Banks Monster Duals Exhaust |
| 17x8 XD Spy's +18os| 315/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs |
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
can you hear the transfer case motor engaging when you switch it to 4x4? i had a similar issue with my 05, the transfer case would lock in but the dash light would not illuminate. after some quick research i determined the problem to be a bad IWE solenoid. from what ive read its a common problem. the solenoid controls the vacuum that actuates the hubs on the front axles, i replaced the part and everything works as it should now. part costs about $30 form ford. its something to look into before you go dumping $300 into a shift motor that may not even be the problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 AM

Thanks all for posts. I will take to Ford dealer here and let you know outcome.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 AM

Oh and to Kozal01...I don't hear the transfer case engage so I think (and hope) it is something electrical (solenoid or relay) not mechanical.
Thanks again all!
Gord
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Hey Gord,

What did you find out. I have the same poblem - no lights, no noise, no bad fuses.

Ford One
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to ffemt432 Send a message via Yahoo to ffemt432
I really don't mean to try and thread steal this, i just didn't want to start a whole new thread with a similiar but different problem.

I also have an 04 FX4 and was wondering about the 4wd. I know in my last truck (which unfortunately was a chevy, but got smarter and bought a ford) it had an auto 4wd. When i switch my 4x4 in, it almost seems like it goes in and out sometimes. The reason i was asking, is it something like the auto 4wd my chevy had where if it felt it slipping it would kick in and out, or should it be in all the time?

Mods so far:
Flowmaster 40 series true duals ; Edge Evo programmer ; Sony xplode 10" under seat install.

Mods to come:
SS bull bar w/ hella lights, SS nerf bars, Extang tool box tannue, HD headlights, Harley Davidson Tail lights, KN CAI, Ram air hood, 2.5" level kit.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 AM