Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
97 transmission removal troubles

I'm trying to remove the transmission and transfer case from my 97 4.6L 4x4to replace the clutch. I've got the tranny and transfer case supported and all the transmission bolts out. I can not get the transmission to budge. I've wiggled, jerked, and beat on it, but it won't slide back. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to JMC
Did you remove the starter? What about the dust cover? Did you unbolt the exhaust cross over? RTFM?

4.6 to 5.4 swap, M5OD w/ Hurst short throw, Warn XD9000i, OBX Long Tubes /w Cats, Troyer E-fans, P-1SC Procharger @15psi, Troyer tuned. ;)
Swap notes; http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ml#post3570245
Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
if everything else is remove that could possibly hold the tranny to the engine it could be stuck on the pilot bearing or the dowel pins, or possibly both..., double check you have everything away, cross member out, starter off, all bellhousing bolts, drive shaft, slave cylinder line.

and if all is off try a rather large prybar, some times you just have to... but double check everything or triple check....
Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Got the tranny out!

I finally got the transmission out a few days ago. I tried the pry bars, but no luck. The truck is in really good shape underneath, so I could'nt figure out what was holding it. I finally hooked a strap around the tranny and put a come-along b/w the strap and the rear axle. After putting a lot of pressure on it, I hit the front of the bell housng w/ a sledge and a piece of would and it popped free. I guess it was just stuck on the dowel pins.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 PM