Transmission cooler fan?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission cooler fan?

Has anyone installed an electric fan to get more air through the factory transmission cooler? My occasional travel trailer pulls put the temperature of the transmission fluid 200-210F. The transmission was rebuilt about 1500 miles ago and I do not want to risk overheating failure. Looking at the cooler it appears Ford could have made the area a little more in the air flow path to help but it's right behind the bumper. The truck is a 200 f150 with 5.4 ltr V8. The trailer depending on the load can weigh up to 7500 lbs. I have thought of adding an additional cooler but if a fan will work I prefer to do that. Any advice / comments much appreciated.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may get some varying opinions on this but I think tranny cooler fans are a waste. The only time they'd be of any relevance would be in traffic or stop and go at slower speeds. I feel it's a band-aid for an inadequate cooler, which BTW is what you have. The coolers on the pre '04 trucks are pathetic if you're gonna pull anything. Do some searching for the 2000 F250 LD tranny cooler. It's huge, does the job, and bolts right in, minus having to make the hoses work. A fan that size would be worthless and do nothing much above 25 mph. You'd be surprised how much airflow that cooler gets in its location going down the road.

DO NOT install an 'additional' cooler along with the stock one. Remove it.

But on a lighter subject, 200-210 is not terrible, especially if it's short burst at a time. That's not going to hurt anything and you'd have to spend a substantial amount of time at 210 to worry about anything.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Agreed.

My SD cooler works great and the install was not too bad.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input . I will start searching for the 250 SD cooler. I know I need to do somthing to avoid problems. The temperature has been as high as 220 for brief periods and I know that just is not good. I will probably check the local salvage yards first and if nothing is available I will check Ford for a new one...... ouch! Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission cooler fan?