Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting issues

I have a 2001 f150 4.6 with the 4r70w trans. I recently had a new torq converter installed, fluid and filter change, u joints, and plugs. I still cant get rid of the weird shifting patterns. If i reset my pcm the truck shifts perfect for a few miles then is back to its old sloppy patterns. It goes through all the gears fine but no matter what type of driving situation it seems to want to shift into 3rd and 4th gear to quickly. (after the pcm is reset this problem is gone for a few miles) I got 70 k on it and really dont know what to do fix this problem I dropped $600 so far and there really wasnt much of a dramatic change. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Duane

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The shifting is determined by the PCM. Nothing that you've changed affects the shift pattern. The only thing that will change this is different software. I don't know if a Ford dealer has software that will do what you want. You might have to go aftermarket.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I just bought a 05 F150 FX4 with 5.4 motor with 55K miles and it drove fine for first 10 days and then started doing exactly what you are describing. I was pissed and carried back. They updated latest/greatest PCM software for "hard downshifts" (something I'm not having) and this didn't work 20 minutes after I left the dealer shop. Carried straight back again and couldn't recreate with service guy so they sent me away with no answers.

I read in another forum that one guy was having this issue and had the TCM updated and his problems were corrected. So I called the dealer service guy back the next morning and asked if he would also do this to my truck and he called back and said that when they updated the PCM software, that this would automatically bleed updates down to the TCM as well so no need for that. WTF? Is this true does anyone know for sure? My truck does it so badly it will shift from 1rst. to 4th. in about 2 seconds time between 0 and 15 mph. Of coarse then it hesitates so badly it almost stalls and then finally makes a noise in rear end (vibration) if I left off the gas completely.

The only way to not let this happen is to always start off faster I guess. But even still, when this software stuff isn't working correctly with the tranny and engine, the truck has strange shifting patterns at higher speeds as well. Oh well, I just bought it and it has 30K warranty on drive train so if it breaks they had better replace it! Maybe it will get bad enough that I can be confident to take it back again and recreate it easily at that time. I would be afraid to go with any aftermarket parts during my warranty period however.

Sorry for long post, I'm new F150 owner and needing to vent. I like my local Ford dealer for buying a car, but it seems when my first issues come up under any Ford I've owned in past and now also, and it's still under warranty, they want to play these games with me. Maybe it's me, I dunno.
The dealership is called "Capital Ford" in Raleigh, NC. Supposedly the biggest Ford dealer on the east coast. This guy I spoke with today said he gave a truck back to them as they lied to him about the truck he bought saying it had never been wrecked and he found out otherwise. He called them "Crapital Ford". I thought that was kinda funny.

Uh oh, hope they aren't reading this post. I'm probably busted!

Last edited by F150Adam; 05-20-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
I am with you Pick up Man - I think these trucks are set-up to shift "soft/slip" and 90% of the owners don't have an issue with it. Then there's us who clearly recogize the difference.

I've read the threads on programming chip and tuners until my head spins. What I want is something that holds shifts a little longer, let's it shift firmer and keeps it from going into OD so soon. Any suggestions on the product that does that. Not really interested in a dash mounted unit - I have a scangaugeII.

Sorry for jacking yor thread.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Adam
I read in another forum that one guy was having this issue and had the TCM updated and his problems were corrected. So I called the dealer service guy back the next morning and asked if he would also do this to my truck and he called back and said that when they updated the PCM software, that this would automatically bleed updates down to the TCM as well so no need for that. WTF? Is this true does anyone know for sure?
Yes, I know for sure. There is no TCM in your truck. The PCM controls both the engine and transmission.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the info Mark. I'm taking it back again cause now when it's in it's "bad shifting mode", I am now getting vibration in the seat of my pants and on my arm resting on center console when I accelerate from 60-65 mph on the highway. It's screwing up something else I can just tell it. Could my PCM be bad and they don't want to replace it yet, and if it is bad, could this cause damage to my drivetrain somehow, cause it sure seeming that way. Or possibly the service dept. didn't put the correct software fix in when they downloaded it into the truck? Help! Thanks. Have a good one.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey Mark, one last question about what you said. If you look at the TSB list for my model F150 2005, how come the TCM comes up on at least 2 symptoms like for example one says Component:POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM,PCM)
Summary:4.6/5.4 MIL P0506 AND/OR P0505-HESITATION/LOSS OF RPM/DIFFICULTY STARTING/LOW IDLE RPM. "NJ"

Why would a TSB use the acronym "TCM" if my truck doesn't even have one? Just curious if you know why. Thanks.

Oh, and now my truck is vibrating pretty bad on slight acceleration on the highway between 55-65 mph when I make it go into 3rd during this acceleration. Once it gets to 65 or so and goes into 4th, vibe goes away. Any ideas why? I'm thinking it's a after effect of this tranny shifting issues that was the initial symptom.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues