taking a long time to engage into drive???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation taking a long time to engage into drive???

hey guys,

I need some help or sum ideas of what's wrong with my tranny???

I have a 99 f150 with teh 4r70w and it is a replacement tranny tht we put in about 30,000 miles ago....

The tranny shifted great tell this weekend when i was driving and i had to stop and put it in park well i did tht and did what i had to do so i got back in teh truck put it in drive and the rpm's stayed high and it didnt engage so i put back in nuetral then put in reverse and reverse worked great engaged just like it should.. so i tried drive again and it didnt engage so i touched the gas a little and it locked in at about 1500 rpms really hard! So then i headed home and it cemed to shift normal and work great all the way home. So then when i got home i was seeing if it would engage i found out that if i put it in nuetral and then to drive it will engage faster it seems but if i go to reverse or park then it wont engage.. the fluid doesnt seem burnt it has the red color and doesnt smell burnt.. So today after work i am going to changed the filter and drain the pan and see if it helps...

I need some help any ideas would be great!!

Dave

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds exactly like low fluid issues. It actually couldn't sound more like low fluid issues.

You would be surprised at how many think their fluid is full because of the dipstick setup making it lok like it is when it isn't. The upmost part of the dipstick that has fluid on it isn't usually the fluid level.

The fluid level is the upmost part of the dipstick that has fluid on it and that has no dry spots below it.

You have to look REALLY close. You don't know how often it is read wrong. I have even been at shops where they got it wrong while I was standing there watching them.

Darrin

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
idk i checked it and i pretty darn sure it is full but i will double check myself for sure.. but hey thanks i gonna pull the pan and changed filter and c if that helps is it 4 quarts or 3 if i pull the pan?? u know ??
dave

Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 AM
ok guys i got a problem.. I changed the fluid and got a new filter and all that well i put the pan back on filled it up to the proper level and now it shifts good and everything but if i stop and go from reverse to drive to reverse to drive the drive eventually after 2 or 3 times takes 4ever to engage u gotta rev it up than it engages in at about 1500???? y??

Is there like a sensor or anythign in tht valvebody or any electrical plug on the side that could effect that?anything the fluid is good but it isnt engaging like it use to...

I need help asap..
thanks
dave

Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
It isn't electrical for sure, but it could be in the valve body. For whatever reason it is not wanting to engage the forward clutch. Could be a stuck valve or something hanging up in the forward clutch itself.

Really hard to tell what it is long distance unfortunately.

Darrin

Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
ya idk i think i gonna replace it go with new high performance tranny.. u got any ideas??
eatmyshift.com some great ones that seem to be pretty heavy duty!
or idk i not sure what i should do..

any ideas???
dave

Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by 99F150white
ya idk i think i gonna replace it go with new high performance tranny.. u got any ideas??
eatmyshift.com some great ones that seem to be pretty heavy duty!
or idk i not sure what i should do..

any ideas???
dave
I know that Troyer Performance sells some really quality heavy duty stuff.

I sent you a PM by the way.

Darrin

Old 02-14-2009, 06:21 PM
bc-automotive.com has replacement valve bodies for $225 with a $75 core rebate. i believe they build them to your specs and include measures to prevent the problems seen in aode/4r70w valve bodies

Quick Reply: taking a long time to engage into drive???