08 f150 rolling backwards

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 f150 rolling backwards

I noticed my 08 f150 supercab 4.6l is rolling a couple feet backwards in my driveway. It's on wet pavement but no ice or anything. And I am getting a grinding noise when i put it in reverse. Do you think this is a major problem? Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
That definitely sounds like a major problem. It could just be linkage from the shifter but I would be taking it to the stealership for that.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I feel like I should also mention that "stealership" is a word that I picked up from another guy on here, but it fits the service department of any dealership perfectly. It's pretty funny and I use it all the time now.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try using that pedal on the far left when you park.. That might help some...

Why no one uses the 'parking brake' anymore is a mystery to me...

Mitch

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Try using that pedal on the far left when you park.. That might help some...

Why no one uses the 'parking brake' anymore is a mystery to me...

Mitch
Maybe people should use their parking brakes more often, but it is not normal for your truck to roll in park with or without the parking brake on. You should get it checked out.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No question about that.... Remember that scene in the first Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie parks that POS Nova, puts it in gear and the thing rolls (forward in this case) and makes this loud 'clicking' noise... Probably a broken park gear paw..

The OP has probably done the no parking brake thing for awhile now and it's finally busted something in the trans??

I see people in parking lots and wherever.. They pull in, park, put it into PARK and let off the brake and the vehicle rolls back a tad and if it's a decent slope, it'll bounce a time or two as well! I can't imagine what that's doing to the PARK gear in the tranny... Can't be good for it at all I'd guess..

Damn kid at the tire store parked my truck after getting it's new tires and parked it and didn't set the damn PB... When I get in and try to move the gear lever, it has this "Clunk" to it when I put it in D.... IDIOTS!! I so hate letting someone else drive my truck!

Sorry to be such a SA on this, but this is something that is so preventable, I just don't understand why people don't use them anymore..... Parking Brakes that is....

Mitch

Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you do have a problem. Take it the dealer being an 08 I assume you have plenty of warranty so you shouldn't have to pay a thing.

Speaking of people not using parking brakes. My mother in law has a very steep driveway going towards the house. She never uses the parking brake and her van bounces off the park paw/gear several times before settling down. I keep waiting for the call saying the van went through the house

Another funny note is that when I used to have my manual transmission Ranger i always used the parking brake out of habit. Every time I would take the truck in for something I couldn't do or didn't want to work on the service guy would always kill cause they never check the parking brake. One guy at an exhaust shop killed at least 6 or 7 times before he realized the p brake was on

Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
No question about that.... Remember that scene in the first Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie parks that POS Nova, puts it in gear and the thing rolls (forward in this case) and makes this loud 'clicking' noise... Probably a broken park gear paw..

The OP has probably done the no parking brake thing for awhile now and it's finally busted something in the trans??

I see people in parking lots and wherever.. They pull in, park, put it into PARK and let off the brake and the vehicle rolls back a tad and if it's a decent slope, it'll bounce a time or two as well! I can't imagine what that's doing to the PARK gear in the tranny... Can't be good for it at all I'd guess..

Damn kid at the tire store parked my truck after getting it's new tires and parked it and didn't set the damn PB... When I get in and try to move the gear lever, it has this "Clunk" to it when I put it in D.... IDIOTS!! I so hate letting someone else drive my truck!

Sorry to be such a SA on this, but this is something that is so preventable, I just don't understand why people don't use them anymore..... Parking Brakes that is....

Mitch
one of the first things we learned when we moved to the snow belt was not to use the PB in freezing weather due to the fact that it freezes up. My wife found out about this the hard way when her ebrake was siezed/frozen. We use them in the summer, but not when it is below freezing. It could be total BS, but it seems to work, and we have had no issues with frozen ebrakes since

Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my P brake all winter here in Indiana without any problems for 14 years. I've heard them freezing up on some vehicles but on my ranger and F150 no problems yet

Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Smile

Or you could be the guy at the boat dock, back your rear axle completley in the water then set your park prake on a hot summer day. It doesn't take long to rust together.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the e-brakes in these 04-08's are touchy...i just completely redid mine and now 4k later the frickin cables are sticking...but theres def something wrong w your truck

Quick Reply: 08 f150 rolling backwards