PATS module location

Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PATS module location

Figured I'd post this here since the PATS system talks to the PCM.

What does the PATS transciever module look like and where is it located. I know there is a 4-wire connector under the steering column (according to the Ford electrical manual). But my 97 does not have PATS, and the swap I'm doing WILL require it. Supposedly the module has a switched power wire, a ground wire, and two wires that run up to the instrument cluster. I've read in some places that there is a wire that runs around the ignition cylinder???? Is this true??? If so where does it go other than around the cylinder???

So Basically...for a PATS equipped F150:

Where is the PATS transciever module?
What does it look like?
Is there an antenna that loops around the ignition cylinder? If so, where does it terminate?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rhislo
Figured I'd post this here since the PATS system talks to the PCM.

What does the PATS transciever module look like and where is it located. I know there is a 4-wire connector under the steering column (according to the Ford electrical manual). But my 97 does not have PATS, and the swap I'm doing WILL require it. Supposedly the module has a switched power wire, a ground wire, and two wires that run up to the instrument cluster. I've read in some places that there is a wire that runs around the ignition cylinder???? Is this true??? If so where does it go other than around the cylinder???

So Basically...for a PATS equipped F150:

Where is the PATS transciever module?
What does it look like?
Is there an antenna that loops around the ignition cylinder? If so, where does it terminate?

Thanks in advance!
You're in the TRANSMISSION forum.......

Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
crap

Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I sent in a message to the mods to get this thread moved.

The module is located up under the dash kinda above and behind the cabin fuse box. Not sure on the wire antenna, i can see what i can look up.

What swap are you doing? You can always turn just PATS off with a reprogram of the PCM.....

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks Patman. I bounce between the Engine, Transmission, Electrical and Classified here on the forum....Must have gotten so excited I forgot where I was!

My swap is installing a 2003 F150 4.6L into a 1997 F150 that has a blown 4.6L. I have the complete drivetrain from the 2003 (Eng/Trans/Transfer, Eng & Trans Harnesses and 2003 PCM). I plan on running the 03 engine with the 03 PCM, so I have some wires to relocate, add and remove in the 97 body. Since the dash cluster interfaces with the PCM differently than the 97, I'm going to be using an 03 cluster. I've got all my ducks in a row with the exception of this PATS thing. Since my truck is not equipped with PATS, I need the components, but can't explain to anyone (who has trucks that they are parting out) where the parts are or what they look like. Which is where I need help.

NOW If you are telling me that PATS can be turned OFF.....Pray tell. I thought I had read elsewhere that it could not be done. I would imagine it would have to be turned off by the dealer????

Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhislo

NOW If you are telling me that PATS can be turned OFF.....Pray tell. I thought I had read elsewhere that it could not be done. I would imagine it would have to be turned off by the dealer????
Yes,,the PATS can be turned off!
My tuner turned mine off when we installed a computer from a Lightning.

Phil

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
yes it can be turned off, most custom tuners can do it no problem.

You also can get the cluster programed for the PCM if they came from different trucks. You will also need new ignition/keys, to accept a PATS key

send me an email and i can send you what i have on PATS. Im sure you can understand why i dont want to post such information in a public forum

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Patman, sent you an email...anxiously awaiting reply.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Still waiting on that PATS info.......

Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You could have just swapped engines and run your 03 4.6 as a 97. No muss, no fuss, and no PATS. EDIT: The PATS transceiver module is attached to the steering column. Remove the ignition cylinder and a screw and unplug it.

Last edited by JMC; 01-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
yeah...went to the local junkyard and figured out the PATS component location...easy enough...and there doesn't seem to be anything up above and behind the cabin fusebox.

I did think about using the 97 computer, but since the trans mileage and transfer case mileage were 233k miles I figured why not update all. The truck was a few hundred and I got the complete engine trans transfercase, accessories, computer, etc for $1750 delivered.

Other than repinning the connectors for the 03 instrument cluster, I only have to relocate about 10 wires at the PCM and add about 8 wires(mainly for the COP's). Besides I'll get 13 extra HP Woo-hoo! haha! I don't mind the rewiring, and I'll get through this PATS thing. I just wish I had more info on turning it off...hopefully that info is on the way still.

Randy

Old 03-06-2021, 07:50 PM
I need some of that info to if u can pats is the only thing keeping me from working

Theonlyrabbit88@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2021, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
yes it can be turned off, most custom tuners can do it no problem.

You also can get the cluster programed for the PCM if they came from different trucks. You will also need new ignition/keys, to accept a PATS key

send me an email and i can send you what i have on PATS. Im sure you can understand why i dont want to post such information in a public forum
howardsrjames1@gmail.com

Old 08-12-2021, 01:17 AM
Pats

Can you please send me the pats information as please and thank you. =Patman;3547483]yes it can be turned off, most custom tuners can do it no problem.

send me an email and i can send you what i have on PATS. Im sure you can understand why i dont want to post such information in a public forum [/QUOTE]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PATS module location