transgo problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transgo problem

so about a month ago i put a transgo shift kit inmy truck and the more i drive it the less i like how hard it is, it shifts so hard from 1st-2nd then from 2nd to 3rd it bangs into gear like a shot tranny, its to the point where i get a jolt of wheel hop, did i do somthing wrong with the kit or is this just how it is, and if so can i make it softer, mabey a tuner like a griffon to adjust it

Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what size did you drill things out to? how much throttle applied?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Problems like these are why I always suggest getting a valve body from Troyer and highly suggest getting a tune while you are at it.

Not sure if a tune will fix it or not, but I would call Troyer and ask him what he suggests at this point. He is very familiar with the Trans Go stuff as well. I am sure he knows how to tune for any issue it can cause.

Darrin

Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
what size did you drill things out to? how much throttle applied?
i used the drill bit that came with it and drilled the hole that is suposed to be for my app, dont rember the acctual size but i know i read the instructions a few times, and my throttle range when it shifts hard is anywere above 1/4-1/3 throttle
o and i forgot to mention it is much softer when the truck is cold

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Sounds like the same thing my truck did when I installed a program from a tuner. He made the shifts too stiff. Under light to medium throttle, 1-2 shift was good, 2-3 was good, but the next shift seems to be a combination of trying to lock the torque converter and trying to shift all at once, resulting in a jolt like someone rear-ended the truck. It did not happen when I locked out O/D, let it shift into third, lock the torque converter, and then let it go to O/D. It did not happen when I accelerated hard.
The tuner had to back off the shift pressures and stuff to make it better again. Maybe it is something that a tuner could fix, but would be hard for them to do unless they were there in person or you could datalog and send them the info.
It is probably softer when the truck is cold because the tranmission has a sort of "safe mode." Below 160 degrees the transmission runs a different shift program.
I don't have any experience with the shift kit though, may want to call transgo if their product caused the problem.

Quick Reply: transgo problem