4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4x4 problems

alright 4x4 engages and then harshly disengages making loud clunking and grinding sounds as soon as the tires start to spin. it also does not only disengage 4x4 all the time. It also disengages rwd some times so im thinking the problem is in the transfer case but im stumped

also if your on solid ground it will stay engaged as long as you dont stomp the trottle

Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 AM
no help boys?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey fivepoint, try posting this in the 2004 - present truck thread, a lot more people "hang out" there that might be able to answer this for you. I actually have a transfer case question posted in there waiting for reply.

good luck and good looking truck

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If the rear wheels stop turning then the transmission may not be turning the t-case input shaft or the t-case may be slipping into neutral. Those are the only possible causes. The t-case input shaft is connected to the t-case out put shaft by a reduction hub assy. This reduction hub is actually a planetary gear set that slides along splines and at one point slides into a position where the input and output shafts are no longer connected and are in a neutral position. The manual shift has a setting where the neutral position may be selected. The Electric ones do not have this ability do to the method used to shift reduction hub. A defective shift motor or a broken shift fork may cause the hub to slide into the neutral position thereby removing power to the rear wheels. But if the t-case slides into neutral then the front wheels will not turn so if the front are still pulling the truck then the rear must also be turning. I would then by logic suspect a defective rear differential if only the fronts are turning.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
fronts are not turning either

Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
i was wheeling my truck the other day and has no issues with the 4x4hi it was doing great i got in to some sand and it started digging so i gave it some more (not full throttle but some more gas) and it started spinning them and i heard a loud cluck...it was clunking about every 5 seconds until i had had enough and didint wanna break something so i put it in 2wd and just WFO'd my way out if you know what i mean. later i used the 4x4hi and it worked fine, same with 4lo seemed like it was only when the tires where spinning and not hooking up....

Old 09-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Do you have the factory limited slip differential? If so you could have some worn clutches, which can be causing your clunk as the clutches break free causing the wheels to spin without gaining any traction. At any rate, I think you are having a different issue than the previous posts.

Quick Reply: 4x4 problems