possible bad iwe solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible bad iwe solenoid

Yesterday i was driving down the road when i heard a ridiculously loud grinding sound coming from my front passenger side hub. I was in two wheel drive then engaged four wheel and the sound immediately disappeared. Took the truck home and looked on here for some similar problems. Read some posts and decided to run some tests. i first jacked up the truck and spun the front wheels to make sure the hub was locking when the truck was off "no vacuum" I then started the truck and tried to turn the passenger side wheel made that same horrific grinding sound. I then Pulled the vacuum line while running to see if there is some pressure and there was but not sure if it is enough. Taped up the line and the hub and left the passenger side engaged. No more noise but loss in mpg. Hoping to get to the dealer by tuesday to pick up one of the iwe solenoid. That is probably where I'm going to start the search. if anyone has any suggestions feel free to chip in. Also would you think it would be bad to drive on the locked hub. All i could loose is gas milage instead of it grinding it self to bits. Hope some one is experiencing or has experienced the same problem. By the way it is a 04 f150 crew 5.4 lariat 50,000 miles.

Thanks, Brian

Old 09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Just replaced with new iwe solenoid same problem is occurring, I picked up a vacuum tester tester at the local parts store. I tested before the solenoid and got 22 Hg and 22 Hg at each hub. I'm thinking of replacing the hub has anyone done this and what is involved. Or should i just take it to the dealer and be ready to pay a arm and a leg. Some help please.

Brian

Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by blackedout50
Just replaced with new iwe solenoid same problem is occurring, I picked up a vacuum tester tester at the local parts store. I tested before the solenoid and got 22 Hg and 22 Hg at each hub. I'm thinking of replacing the hub has anyone done this and what is involved. Or should i just take it to the dealer and be ready to pay a arm and a leg. Some help please.

Brian
GEt with Josiah, he has post covering all of this. Search for his post or shoot him a PM

Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Well I think that I found the problem. I bought a hand pump vacuum from the local parts store and checked each front actuator left "drivers side" is good holds vac and unlocks when pumped up. The right side on the other hand "passenger side" slowly leaks pressure and grinds as i turn the wheel. I am thinking that I have finally found the problem and should be able to get out with only $99 for the actuator. If you are having similar problems I would suggest to buy a hand vac pump made finding the problem very easy.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Fixed the problem. There was a small hole in the diaphragm of the actuator and allowed it to suck up dust causing the bottom to fill with dirt. This in turn caused the acuator to grind on the unlock possition. It was not that hard to change out just loosen the center nut that holds the axle in and slide it out the back. Then replace the actuator. When I have time I am going to make a thread on how to replace took alot of pictures.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
If anyone is interested in pictures of disassembly and reassembly I just loaded a new album to help visualize what I was talking about.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I would be interested in the pictures?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 PM
i had the same prob, but had to have the hub replaced as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
IWE issue on 01 Expedition

I have a 01 expedition started with the same issue
I have look around this site and can't find the solenoid
Where indicated on firewall behind battery. Can any one help
Me locate the solenoid on my truck (pics if any)
Thnxs

Xx
Originally Posted by blackedout50
Fixed the problem. There was a small hole in the diaphragm of the actuator and allowed it to suck up dust causing the bottom to fill with dirt. This in turn caused the acuator to grind on the unlock possition. It was not that hard to change out just loosen the center nut that holds the axle in and slide it out the back. Then replace the actuator. When I have time I am going to make a thread on how to replace took alot of pictures.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Pictures?

Hey Blackedout50,

Do you still have a link to the dissemble/reassemble?

Thanks,

lk

Quick Reply: possible bad iwe solenoid