Durango Problems

Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Durango Problems

allrighty fellas, I know we are talking Dodge here, but my 68 year old dad is having some problems.

When we stops accelerating, the transmission wont shift into O/D there fore leaving him about 600 RPMs higher than normal. Just started happening out of the blue.

99, Dodge durango, about 90K on it with the 5.7L sorry but I'm not sure what kind of tranny but I bet its the strongest tranny dodge could put in the older Durangos becasue he special ordered it to pull his camper, but if anybody knows anything about dodge, help me out here. The last thing I want is for my dad to get ripped off at the stealership

Thx,

FX41

Ps: Mods feel free to move this to GD or wherever you see fit

Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durango

So he has the 5.9L 360? I don't think they put the 5.7 hemi in the Durangos back in 99 did they? Anyway. you are saying when he id cruizing at 65 mph in oberdrive if he lets off the gas it will downshift into 3rd. Just want to clarify here.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, its the 5.9, sorry. What he said was that at cruising speed, the tranny will not upshift into overdrive.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Verify that OD is not turned off. Or, verify that it is turned on.

May be in the switch.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
If the rpms are only about 600 higher than normal I'd bet it's going into overdrive but the torque convertor isn't locking up. 3rd to 4th gear should have about a 1000rpm difference on the engine at the same vehicle speed.

Have you guys done a fluid/filter change on it yet? As with a higher-mileage Ford automatic, I'd shy away from doing a power flush on the tranny...too many seals to get blown out and then you are looking at rebuild time.

I believe the 5.9s in the Durango/Dakota and light-duty half tons trucks used the 46RE tranny (basically an electronic controlled version of the A518 which in turn is based on the old A727 3-spd automatic). It's not the strongest tranny that Dodge uses but has about the same torque rating as the E4OD or 4R100. Don't recall ever seeing the 47RE used in the Dak/Durango. Other than a crappy torque converter clutch setup both the 46RE and 47RE are pretty decent transmissions and usually hold-up pretty good behind the 5.9(360cid).

I don't have a lot of experience with the newer MoPar OD trannies, just a couple of 518s used behind small-blocks in older trucks. Had lock-up TC problems with both of them since they were both high-mileage, poorly-maintained trannies.
In the newer 46RE/47RE, the ECM controls the shift points and lockup, so it could be anything from the torque converter clutch going bad to a corroded wiring harness connector someplace...possibly keeping the OD shift solenoid signal from getting to the tranny (as mentioned above) if it really isn't hitting 4th gear.
Best bet would be to have the dealer or a good trans shop check it out.

Might also want to try posting over at www.allpar.com in the truck or tech sub-forums or google around for another MoPar truck board. Might get some closer ideas on what to check from them.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might look at www.dodgetalk.com

The site is full of forums by models and years.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Problem: Its a Dodge

Solution: Get a Ford

Sorry, had to lighten the situation

Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM
my wifes pretty much did the same thing. Get the tranny flushed a change the filter. It worked for her's. she has a 98 318ci. his t-converter isn't locking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango Problems