hurst shifter on M5OD-R2

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurst shifter on M5OD-R2

I was wondering if the Hurst Competition Billet shifter would fit on my M5OD in the 06 F-150. The website says it's for 97-03 trucks, but, it's the same engine and the same transmissions, so how difficult could it be? What has changed?

has anybody tried this yet?

wikipedia says the transmission hasn't changed since they started using it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_M5OD_transmission

"1997-present Ford F-150 4.2 L V-6 & 4.6 L V-8 engine"

will it fit the 06 F-150?

any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
it should but theres still a chance ford changed somthing again if you buy one you could always return it if it didnt fit

Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
What website?

Originally Posted by hydeph
I was wondering if the Hurst Competition Billet shifter would fit on my M5OD in the 06 F-150. The website says it's for 97-03 trucks, ..... .
What website? i am looking for that shifter!
thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Old thread bud.
You can find the shifter on summit and jegs though. Possibly other places.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That shifter is discontinued.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Yet you can still buy it..
I've been meaning to as you JMC, how did you modify your shifter for the body lift? I know it's like bent somehow? And does it feel really short since essentially losing 3 inches on it. I was thinking if I do a body lift I can probably sell just the shifter stick and get a longer one since they all bolt on the same.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 AM
JMC

Here is a picture of the bend I put in mine to clear the cup holders in the console. With the body lift it was right over the cup holders and the way it was bent from the factory made it difficult to get my hand to sit properly on the ball to push it forward out of second into third. I had to get under it and push up and forward and that was just too uncomfortable. The way it is bent now I can just push forward. This picture has the ball removed to get a better view of the new bend.

I kept it the stock length so it sits 3 inches lower than on a stock truck. I actually like the hight of it the way I have it now. If you get a longer stick you will be increasing the throw and defeating the reason for getting a short throw in the first place.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I know getting a longer stick will increase the throw, but since it is already super short as is I don't think it would make much difference.
What did you do to bend the shifter? I was thinking heating it, but wouldn't that ruin the chrome?
I wish it bend like that in the first place, the way it sits stock give an awkward shift angle for anything except the ball **** it comes with.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 AM
JMC

I put mine in a vice and heated it.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I was looking for this shifter because my M5R2 is having shifting problems. i've learned this shifter won't fix my trans, so i'm not going to bother. considering everything that makes this trans a pos shifter, and weak in the bargain, i'm not sure i want to fix it. i'm considering a t56 swap, or going to an auto (maybe a 4R100) or just setting fire to the **** thing...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Joe, there's nothing wrong with the M5 behind a stock 4.2 or 4.6 as long as you don't abuse it. Don't slam your shifts or try to tow more than 3000#. If you want an upgrade, put a body lift on and do a ZF5 conversion.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
In my opinion the m5 isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Mine as nearly 250k original miles and I have realllly beat on it the last year and it's still fine.
Your shifting feel may get worse over time, but you'll get used to that.
With an auto it could just crap out with no reason and no sign of failure.
I'd rather have crappy shifting that always works.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 PM
why?

Originally Posted by glc
Joe, there's nothing wrong with the M5 behind a stock 4.2 or 4.6 as long as you don't abuse it. Don't slam your shifts or try to tow more than 3000#. If you want an upgrade, put a body lift on and do a ZF5 conversion.
why do you assume i slam my shifts or tow more than 3000 lbs?

you seem to assume i want an upgrade just for the sake of having an upgrade. what would a body lift or a ZF5 conversion do for me that i would be interested in?

what i'm looking for here is a trans that works. i don't think that's an upgrade. my experience, plus what i read here and on other web sites, leads me to believe this trans is under-designed for this application. i read someone else got a quarter a million miles on his. i'm skeptical, but if true, that appears to be a rare case. if i were that lucky with this trans, i'd be happy too.

Last edited by Joethefordguy; 04-08-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
here we go again...

Originally Posted by russo2
In my opinion the m5 isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Mine as nearly 250k original miles and I have realllly beat on it the last year and it's still fine.
Your shifting feel may get worse over time, but you'll get used to that.
With an auto it could just crap out with no reason and no sign of failure.
I'd rather have crappy shifting that always works.

if only "crappy shifting" or "shifting feel" was all i had to worry about. in another post, I've mentioned that it often will not shift. that's pretty crappy, ain't it?
the only relief I've found so far is when someone mentioned that turning the motor off will release the shifter, which is true; it works every time. just not very convenient. sure annoys the guys behind me at lights.

what year is that truck you are referring to? what engine is in it?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
why do you assume i slam my shifts or tow more than 3000 lbs?
I never made that assumption. Why do you think I did? I guess I'm not allowed to make statements or observations without getting your panties in a wad?

what would a body lift or a ZF5 conversion do for me that i would be interested in?
A ZF5 is the heavy duty transmission used in the Super Dutys with engines all the way up to the 460 and the diesel. A body lift is needed to fit the thing under a F-150 unless you want to do some serious floor tunnel hacking.

what i'm looking for here is a trans that works.
A ZF5 definitely works. So does a M5OD if you don't abuse it. (Again just making a STATEMENT, not an ACCUSATION) I've got 137k on mine and it still shifts like new. JMC has a M5OD behind a supercharged 5.4 and he's on his 5th transmission. It was NOT designed for that much power, but behind a stock 300, 302, 4.2 or 4.6 it works fine.

Last edited by glc; 04-09-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply: hurst shifter on M5OD-R2