tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny swap

I have a 97 f150 with a 4.2 and a 4r70w tranny...i know the tranny is a one year only production so i have heard but can i replace it with one from a 98 if i have the whole 98 truck?? meaning i will have the computer and driveshaft and everything........will that be an easier and better tranny swap?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone?????? somebody??anybody?????..........

Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It isn't a difficult thing to swap over just the internal electronics from the 97 transmission to the 98 transmission. You just need to remove both valve body's and take the white case plug with wires from the 97 transmission, remove the black case plug that has the circuit board setup on the 98 and swap in the white one. Then you remove the 1 bolt holding the solenoids onto each valve body and gently pry loose the solenoids and bolt them down. Next, GENTLY pry loose the black rectangular temp sensor and swap it over. You then reinstall the valve body, reconnect the electronics, put the pan back on and install the 98 transmission into the 97 truck with no further issues.

It sounds a LOT harder than what it is. If you take time for lunch you can have it done in less than an hour.

I would have at least a gasket on hand to replace the one between the valve body and case on the 98 transmission. Other than that no parts are needed and the tools are as minimal as an 8mm socket, a 10mm socket and a screwdriver to pry loose the connectors.

Darrin

Quick Reply: tranny swap