No 4WD in my '05 FX4!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 4WD in my '05 FX4!

Let me apologize in advance for the length of this post. Today was my big day, the reason I bought the truck! My daughter was in a horse show, and I had to tow the trailer (2,200 lbs) and Shelly (900-lb Arabian), plus all her gear. I hooked up the trailer, got Shelly, and all was great! I was loving it! Towing with the F150 was so much better than towing with the SportTrac I previously owned.

I parked at the barn, and the grass was a bit muddy from the rain/snow we've just had. When the show was over, I went to take Shelly back and my read wheels started spinning. "No problem," I thought, "I'll just put this bad boy into 4WD and we'll be out of here lickety split! I didn't see any "4WD" lights go on the dash, but that wasn't a big deal. Then my rear wheels started spinning again. I lowered my window and looked at the front tires - nothing! I put the truck in Park, tried switching back to 2Hi, then to 4Hi, still nothing. I put it in 4Lo. Nothing. By this time, I was pissed. I had to be pulled out (luckily, it was another F150!).

It's a CPO 2005 FX4 Screw with 20k miles on it. I'm going to check the fuses, and if I have to, take out the radio console to see if there's anything wrong with the wiring at the switch. Otherwise, back to the dealership. Man, am I ticked off.

On the plus side, my daughter got three first-place ribbons and a second, plus she was Grand Champion in her division.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
An update for anyone interested. I went out this morning and pulled the fuse. It was fine. Then I popped off the console to check the switch wiring. It seemed fine, too. Then I started up the truck and switched it into 4HI, and it worked! I switched it into 4LO and the same thing! Success! I don't know why, but I'm still going to have the dealer check into it.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
good luck with that. congrats on your daughter too

Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by rhdad42
An update for anyone interested. I went out this morning and pulled the fuse. It was fine. Then I popped off the console to check the switch wiring. It seemed fine, too. Then I started up the truck and switched it into 4HI, and it worked! I switched it into 4LO and the same thing! Success! I don't know why, but I'm still going to have the dealer check into it.
I dont know if thats good news or bad. Most the time if it works sometimes, itll always work for the dealer lol

Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I was always told with my previous 4x4s to always enguage the 4x4 once every month just so the 4x4 doesnt get jammed.

I am glad everything is working now.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Had the exact same problem with my '06 as your experiencing. They had to replace my Transfer case shift motor. PN - 5L3Z*7G360*A

Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
good luck with the truck and congrats to your daughter too

Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
The shift motors going out on these are quite common and was more than likely the culprit. It should have set a code as well. Also the vacuum solenoids are prone to water intrusion on the earlier models but is usually a diffrent symptom( intermittent grinding noise) If it is under warranty by chance I would take it in.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
It's going back to the dealership this week. He's got some new tires for me too (they were supposed to be on the truck when I picked it up).

Quick Reply: No 4WD in my '05 FX4!