shift kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift kit ?

Hello, my names Dave. I visit this site regularly, but never post. I have a 97 f150 5.4 and it has 135k on it. I was looking at shift kits. Is it safe to install one with this many miles on it? The tranny shifts and works fine, I tow snowmobiles and it works well. What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 PM
sst1610:
I myself put a shift kit in my 2002 / 4.6 with the 4rw70. 103,000 miles on the truck, and the tranny pan had never been dropped! ( filter never changed) because it had the little plastic plug for the dipstick in there.
I'd say drop the pan and give it a look.
look at these things:
-Contamination type and amount ( metal shavings and general dirtiness.) there will be some shavings on the magnet- probally looks like sludge, but any chunks larger than1/16" might be a sign to get a new tranny.
- fluid smell and color- burnt fluid is a sign that something is probally gonna go wrong soon.
If everything looks ok, I myself would go ahead with the shift kit install.
Just my opinion though. i put the kit in to help with towing, and loose that annoying slow upshift that seems to take forever. My $.02

Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sst1610
Hello, my names Dave. I visit this site regularly, but never post. I have a 97 f150 5.4 and it has 135k on it. I was looking at shift kits. Is it safe to install one with this many miles on it? The tranny shifts and works fine, I tow snowmobiles and it works well. What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave , welcome -

Sure , No problem - 250,000+ miles - just on the trans - 220,000 on this 98 5.4L . Hard to believe they last this long under general maintenance.

Keep you fluids up to par and they'll keep running for yuh .

What Trans do you have 4r70w or E4OD ? - Is your truck a 4X4?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 AM
My truck is 4wd. I'm not sure what tranny it is, but If I remember right, it's the heavier duty of the two. I bought a filter, and I'm going to buy the motorcraft fluid to change it. I guess I will assess it when I drop the pan. Every now and then it shifts hard, could that be a problem? Thanks alot

Dave

Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Dave,

I just put one (TransGo) in my truck last Friday and I love it. My truck has 101K miles on it, original trans fluid. Since the install it feels great! I wish I would have put that in when I bought it. If you have any questions, this is a great place to ask. G/L!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I have the e40d transmission. I bought a B&M kit but never installed it. I was just debating it for a while.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I was looking at the installation directions for the shift kit I have(B&M). They look a bit overwhelming to me. I'm mechanically inclined and I have all the nessessities to complete the installation. Is it as tough as it looks? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Dave

Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Shift Kit Install

I know exactly how you feel, because I felt the same way. But, it's actually pretty easy... drain the pan (and since it's off, install a drain plug!), then remove the electrical connections and draw a diagram of where they go if you need to (I did, but didn't need it upon reinstall), then start removing all the bolts around the perimeter of the valve body, put them in a zip lock bag, then remove the inner bolts, bag them. The whole valve body will come off. Take it to a table , clean with brake cleaner, and then carefully follow your directions. Be sure to go slow, take you time and verify that what you are doing is what the diredtions state. It's really not bad at all. I also took pictures in case I screwed up, and they actually came in handy... so with that, I'll expect you to get a crak-a-lackin'!

here's my thread about the install...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=304949

Here's some links I found useful...

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../shiftkit.html

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=186732

http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/transmission_oil.htm

I guess that's it... if I find some more, I'll add them.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=304949

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/transgo.html

http://www.automedia.com/Auto_Trans_...es20050201sk/1

G/L!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the tips and links, they will come in handy. I will have to drop my pan and check the fluids first like you mentioned. I have a question tho, my tranny shifts hard on the 1-2 shift, but not all the time. I wouldn't really say it shudders. What would the shudder be like?

Thanks

Dave

Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Hmmm.. to describe a shudder.... the only thing I have felt in my truck (not recently) was like this... I was driving 35 mph and you could feel a slight vibration coming from the transmission... like it didn't know what gear it should be in. Does that make sense? It's difficult to explain, but that's the best I can do... :-)

Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I can understand what you said. I don't have any of that. Sometimes after I drive a while, it will shift hard into 2nd gear. Thats it. Is this something a filter n fluid change and shift kit will fix? Thanks again

Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by sst1610
Yeah, I can understand what you said. I don't have any of that. Sometimes after I drive a while, it will shift hard into 2nd gear. Thats it. Is this something a filter n fluid change and shift kit will fix? Thanks again
Man I'm sorry, but that's out of my realm.
Maybe someone with some expertise will jump in...

Quick Reply: shift kit ?