Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM

correct way to check transmission fluid

HI

Haynes service manual says to check transmission fluid after driving 20 miles and check the fluid while truck is turned on and idleing.

I did this and the fluid doesn't even register on the dipstick. However as soon as I turn the truck off and check the fluid level it registers fine on the dipstick.

So, what's all this mean

thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_tilt
HI

Haynes service manual says to check transmission fluid after driving 20 miles and check the fluid while truck is turned on and idleing.

I did this and the fluid doesn't even register on the dipstick. However as soon as I turn the truck off and check the fluid level it registers fine on the dipstick.

So, what's all this mean

thanks in advance
Just say 'no' to Haynes.

Look in yer Owner's manual, maybe?

If yo don't have one, you can download one from here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=18

bubba
Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Transmission fluid is checked warm with it idling in Park. Sounds like you need to add some.

Haynes is okay with that statement in this case as long as it says to do it in Park.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_tilt
However as soon as I turn the truck off and check the fluid level it registers fine on the dipstick.
You can't accurately check trans fluid with the engine off. It will always read higher with the engine off.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F-150
The purpose in driving the vehicle 20 miles is to warm the Tranny up. I either drive mine or let it sit and idle for about 15-20 min.'s then shift thru the gears manually then check with the tranny warm. As stated by Mark you can't check trans fluid cold. If the level doesn't touch the the stick with a warm tranny and in park I would say you need fluid and wonder why and where it's going. Probably a seal.
4.6 V-8,97F-150XLT-Scab,K&N Cold Air Intake,Ignition upgrade from Troyer, Toyo Open Country A/T's, FlowMaster Force II Catback exhaust, Daystar frontend levelers, New Carpet, New Seat Covers, Cobra Snake Eyes Hood. Dashmat with Eagle Embroidery. Alpine Stereo, Black Max Tonneau bed cover, Work in Progress 69Cougar-77Pontiac Firebird Formula
Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
You usually don't even have to read the manual: it's often printed ON the dipstick. "Check hot idling in Park."

. . .
Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc
Transmission fluid is checked warm with it idling in Park.
Well, this is true in my other vehicles, but the dipstick on my 2005 F150 5.4L seems to indicate something else. Near the bottom, it says "Cold," then there's a line across the stick. there's a crosshatch above the line, then another line. Nothing else is printed on the stick.

I need to check the level, but this is confusing. Does this mean to check the fluid cold, with the vehicle idling in park?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 PM

Just wanted to add that the dipstick in my truck does not look like the one in the owner's manual. The manual shows a large crosshatch area near the bottom with the word "COLD" in it. Then there's another large crosshatch area above that with the work "HOT" in it. Mine doesn't look like that at all; there's only one crosshatch area, it's small (about 1/2" long), and it doesn't have anything printed in it.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM

I looked at the dipstick again this morning, just because I was so annoyed. There's writing on the upper part of the stick that I had totally overlooked. It clearly states to check the fluid hot, with the tranny in Park, and not to add fluid if the level is in the crosshatch area. Doh!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM