After replacing transmission, truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After replacing transmission, truck won't start

I bought a used 4r70w tranny that only had 18k miles on it to replace the bad tranny in my 2003 f150 4.2l. I pulled the tranny out of my truck and replaced it with the new/used tranny. I made sure the digital transmission range sensor was lined up in the "neutral" position and double checked everything. I lowered my truck off the lift reattached the battery cables (both negative and positive) and tried to fire it up. Nothing. I can jump the starter solenoid and she starts and runs just fine. So after I filled up with mercon v. I took up the street for a test drive. When the tranny shifts into 2nd it stutters and shutter and my speedo pegs at 100 mph when I am only doing about 15mph. Also in reverse, the speedo shows 10mph.

What does this sound like? Sensor, shift linkage, bad tranny or what? Please someone help. One more thing the used tranny I bought was pulled from a 2003 f150 4.2l v6 just like mine.

Does anyone have a "procedure" for adjusting the TR sensor?

-Cody

Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
ttt

Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I've been dealing with that sensor for years. I've gone thru 4 before I finally realized how they kept blowing (thanks to awesome guys on this site who helped me). You can adjust it yourself. Just put the truck in Neutral. I usually have someone in the cab holding the shifter in Neutral while I'm underneath replacing the sensor. There is a line in the plastic that should be lined up with the neutral mark on the sensor. Just take the old sensor off and put the new one on. Start the truck in Neutral and it should start. Also check your reverse lights so see if they go on in Reverse. If so, you're aligned. If not, just move the inner plastic ring that has slots, a little bit and try the above again.
Good luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
thanks i will give it a try......was yours not starting either? and is there a way to test my sensor to see if it bad. there are two 8mm bolts that hold it on....the holes for these bolts is slotted. is this also an adjustment point?

Last edited by cgbtf; 08-11-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I had several problems. My truck wouldn't start, it would die at idle and if I was able to drive, it would kick it out of gear and rev up, then jump back into gear.

If your sensor is the same as mine, it should be a black sensor with a white plastic ring in it. The plastic ring is the only thing to adjust. On the right side of one of the slots is a much smaller slot that should already be in line with the neutral mark on the black part.
I had to adjust my shift linkage a bit which could also be another reason I kept blowing these.
Here's an article I found on these http://www.atsg.biz/articles/pdf/For...20Part%201.pdf
You can put your truck in reverse and if the reverse lights go on, your sensor should be good. This sensor also runs the reverse lights. Another one of Ford's strange sensor combinations.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
thanks for the help! much appreciated! i will let you know

Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Problem solved. The #12 pin had pulled out of the harness that plugs into the TR sensor. While the harness is plugged in, #12 is out of sight. #12 pin sends signal to the starter. Now the only thing I am having a problem with is the speedo. The gear in the new tranny is different than the one in my old tranny so the speed sensor does not work. Evere heard of this?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, I've heard of it. The 4R70W has at least two different gears on the output shaft, depending on application. Some are 7 tooth and some are 8 tooth. I think the gear is cut into the output shaft, so the trans has to come out and be totally torn down to change it. You might want a second opinion before going that far on my advice....

Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. There is a sensor in the driver side of the tranny right above and behind the TR sensor. Is this the speedo sensor? Also, i have heard there is a speedo sensor in the rear end. If, indeed, there are two speedo sensors, which one does the computer pull the code off of or does it calibrate the speed from the signals of both?

Old 01-31-2021, 04:39 PM
In the same boat

The hubby replaced the transmission on 2003 F150, now it won't start, he thought he'd ruined the starter so he put a new one in, all it does is click. We just put a new battery in, it still clicks no signs of starting at all. Only thing new is that the speedo needle swings up and down quickly. Any ideas on how to fix?? Any sensors he should be checking??

Old 01-31-2021, 05:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That sounds more like a battery issue more than anything.

Quick Reply: After replacing transmission, truck won't start