Overdrive Button not working

Old 09-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive Button not working

I have a 2002 f150 fx4, and just recently the overdrive button stopped working. It does not light up, and will not downshift the transmission. I am wondering if it is just a fuse that blew, or if it is something more serious. Any ideas??

Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM
"Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)

The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the PCM to allow automatic shifts from first through fourth gears or first through third gears only. The PCM energizes the transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) when the switch is off. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on) and electronic pressure control (EPC) circuit shorted (lamp flashing) or a monitored sensor failure."

Besides the button not working does it still shift as it should? There is a 5 amp fuse in the Central Junction Box (under dash) for the Transmission Control Switch, fuse # 29.

And if you don't have an Owners Manual there's one here online.
http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/f...anual_2002.pdf

Last edited by ncranchero; 09-16-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
By any chance, does your **** move on your shifter? Like can you turn it? If you can turn it, maybe somehow you or someone else twisted it and it broke the wires.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Carolina Five-0
"Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)

The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the PCM to allow automatic shifts from first through fourth gears or first through third gears only. The PCM energizes the transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) when the switch is off. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on) and electronic pressure control (EPC) circuit shorted (lamp flashing) or a monitored sensor failure."

Besides the button not working does it still shift as it should? There is a 5 amp fuse in the Central Junction Box (under dash) for the Transmission Control Switch, fuse # 29.

And if you don't have an Owners Manual there's one here online.
http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/f...anual_2002.pdf
Thank you Caroline Five-O, that solved the issue. Thank GODit was just the 5A fuse!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The wires often break where they enter the shifter handle inside the steering column. Remove the plastic cover from the steering column by removing the screws from the underside of the column.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For more details on getting to the TCIL/TCS wires, click my tan CV below & look thru the Steering Column album.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 PM
I received e-mail notification of this reply but it isn't on the post any where. Maybe it blew again and he deleted his reply???

02fordfx4 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Overdrive Button not working - in the Transmissions forum of F150online Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...1&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Thank you Carolina Five-O, that solved the issue. Thank GOD it was just the 5A fuse!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Well, if the fuse blew once and he didn't fix the short circuit in the column, it probably blew again.... or it will shortly.

Steve

Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Had the same thing on my 02. took to dealer and they said the wires were chafed. had to replace wires. hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Similar issue....

PLEASE HELP!

I read this thread earlier today to find that my fuse was blown, and then I quickly replaced it and "WOOHOO"...that's even after I bought the switch itself "new". but on my way home I noticed it shifting like normal, then when coming up to an intersection the tranny seemed like it would not downshift. I could feel the truck shuddering from low RPMs and I then put it in neutral to keep it alive. I then pulled it back into 1st, just to make sure it would be in that gear. It was ok, then the next light I couldn't get it to downshift at all. I basically had to limp around corner to get out of traffic then pulled into 1st and shifted up after that. I noticed the fuse had blown after the 2nd time. Well after that I didn't seem to have a problem but I also took precaution to downshift when approaching a turn/stop sign. I know that isn't healthy for the tranny either. Main question, would it be the wires that would make it stick in gear like that?

Any help would be great!
Thank you.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Another indicator that the OD switch isn't working is your Auto Locks. If they stop working, you need to replace the #29 5A fuse. I just did this after more than a year of it not working, didn't realize the OD switch wasn't working either.....

Old 08-22-2014, 11:27 PM
Contact cleaner fixed my button

My button hasn't worked in a couple of years. I decided to take the end of the shifter off tonight and just see what I could find. I removed the button assy from the shifter and sprayed contact cleaner in it. I pushed the button a few times to work the cleaner into the contacts, and after re-inserting it into the shifter, viola...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overdrive Button not working