Is synthetic transmission fluid the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is synthetic transmission fluid the way to go?

I'm thinking about putting Royal Purple in on my 1st 30,000 mile service. I know synthetic is better but I just wanted to hear some other thoughts. I already use Valvoline full synthetic 5w20 motor oil. Is Royal Purple motor oil that superior to other synthetic motor oils. If you use Express Oil Change like I do the full synthetic Valvoline is only $25.00 more dollars. My 07 F-150 holds 6 quarts it is almost a no brainer.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
You have synthetic already, Mercon V, so as long as you add that standard or better, your fine. I don't find alot of places have Mercon V, just dex 3/ Mercon so I've been staying with Motorcraft brand.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Royal Purple is AWESOME. Quite possibly the best lubes out on the market. The only downside is it runs a little more expensive than most oils. Your engine, tranny and your diff will all run a fairly large measurable amount of degrees cooler Vs. any other oil. It really comes down to personal choice and personal budget. Some people just can't afford it. If you can, I say go for it. Give it a try and watch your peak temp come down. I personally run SWEPCO in both my rigs (except in the Difs, thats where i run Royal Purp.) and we also use this oil in any high performance Mercedes at the shop such as MB equipped with the AMG package and the occasional UNIMOG (the most capable 4x4 ever built). Again, up to you. If you want more info PM a guy named LabNerd. That man has forgotten more than most of us will ever learn on this subject. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM
I thought SWEPCO was the best lube.
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
SWEPCO out performs any Synthetic, any day!!! If you want more info on it let me know! Or on any oil for that matter...
Amsoil is my fluid choice.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Ya you got me Norm. I still back SWEPCO all the way, like I said i still run it in all my rigs. But LabNerd did provide me with some facts that were un-known by me and readily backed by an oil Rep i deal with and other smart fellas in the industry. I still PREFER to use SWEPCO (old habits I guess?) but now am able to recognize that Royal Purple (yes a synthetic, i know...) would be a far superior motor oil. I was wrong. But am willing to admit it and learn. So do you keep tabs on what everyone says or did you actually go through the trouble of finding that quote all over again? I'm sure you can recall, in that SAME thread I also hyped Royal Purple and said: Best conventional = SWEPCO and best Synthetic = Royal Purple.

Back to original post: Yes Royal Purple is that much better than other synthetics (IMO) (NO, I am not claiming to know ALL synthetics nor have I tested ALL synthetics, again my opinion) but do you need it? Does your truck warrant such a high performing motor oil? and at the cost? I can't determine either way on that one. I hear about people running Castrol, Motorcraft, Mobil 1, and all kinds of oils for 100k or more with no/minimal problems. Most important, get a well know highly reccomended Oil and take car of your truck.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM
I will not use anything but MerconV in a 4R70W...Obviously you can do as you choose. Seems like a waste of perfectly good money to me, it certainly isn't going to help the transmission. There is no subsititute for proper preventative maintenance.
Alan

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 PM
The Merc V in your vehicle is not a full synthetic... it is a blend.

IMO Mobil 1 ATF (Merc V compliant) is the best full synthetic for the money. ~$6 per quart at Wally World.

When I install my remote filter into the trans cooler line I will flush the fluid with Mobil 1 (I estimate approx 15 qts with the filter since book spec capacity is 13.9 qts).

EDIT: Oh and your 07 F150 (If it has the 3V 5.4) needs 7 qts of engine oil... not 6.

Last edited by Cynder; 09-12-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Amsoil is my ATF of choice. But it is overpriced 9 Dollars a quart. If you are Changing your ATF every 15k or 30k, any synthetic will do the Job. I agree with cynder, Mobil 1 (not my favorite ) is the best bang for the buck.

This is what you should expect when you make the change to a synth ATF

•Resists thermal and oxidative degradation
• Ensures cool transmission operation
• Provides outstanding low temperature protection
• Improves fuel economy
• Provides smooth shifting
• Maximizes transmission performance and service life
• Reduces maintenance costs
• Offers extended drain intervals

Check out this link.
http://www.amsoil.com/news/2007_sept_ATF_merconv.pdf

Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 PM
1 •Resists thermal and oxidative degradation (see 7)
2 • Ensures cool transmission operation (a good transmission cooler will do more)
3 • Provides outstanding low temperature protection (exactly what is wrong with conventional oil at low temperature?)
4 • Improves fuel economy (explain how a different transmission fluid will increase mpg)
5 • Provides smooth shifting ( more slippage= smoother= how does this make the trans last longer?)
6 • Maximizes transmission performance and service life (see 5)
7 • Reduces maintenance costs () how can fluid that costs 3 times as much save money unless you extend service interval to 100,000 miles)
8 • Offers extended drain intervals (see 7)

Alan

Old 09-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I also prefer to only use actual Mercon V spec fluid. If you want full synthetic then the Mobil 1 is ok, but as mentioned, I think it's a waste of money as well.

I am in a lot of these transmissions. I can tell you these things. The transmissions that look the best regardles of miles have been regularly serviced with Motorcraft Mercon V. I took the transmission apart on my own 96 Thunderbird that had been taken to Ford and never missed a service and that thing looked unbelievably awesome internally. The important thing is that it had 240,000 miles on it.

The worst of the stuff I have been into have been running Royal Purple. It seems like every single one with that stuff in there is completely fried all the way to the reverse clutches. Both in trucks and in cars. I still don't know how you fry the reverse clutches in a car. I can see it in a truck, but in a car?

Whatever you use make sure it's Mercon V spec and change both the fluid and filter religiously.

Darrin

Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by pignjig
I'm thinking about putting Royal Purple in on my 1st 30,000 mile service. I know synthetic is better but I just wanted to hear some other thoughts. I already use Valvoline full synthetic 5w20 motor oil. Is Royal Purple motor oil that superior to other synthetic motor oils. If you use Express Oil Change like I do the full synthetic Valvoline is only $25.00 more dollars. My 07 F-150 holds 6 quarts it is almost a no brainer.
First question: What type of transmission service are you having performed at 30K? If you're doing a full flush that's going to get expensive with synthetic fluid. IMHO if you plan to do a flush every 30K stick with Motorcraft Mercon V. Dumping a full synthetic like Amsoil or Mobil 1 every 30K is a waste of money unless you tow or haul heavy loads. If you're only doing a pan drop, filter change, refill then using a full synthetic would make more sense and because you'll only need 5 quarts it won't break the bank. Make sure the filter is changed. Don't let this quickie lube joint take you into a flush only, in fact stay away from the quickie lube joint for this procedure. Go to the dealer or find a good independent mechanic.

Second question: No, I don't believe that RP is "that" superior to other synthetic motor oils. This topic has been beat to death. If you're happy with the Valvoline stick with it. Many people here use Motorcraft 5w-20 and see no reason to spend for anything more expensive than that.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off, it's just WAY too easy to service your own trans, especially if you have an older model with a TC drain plug. Even with a newer model with no drain plug, I would NEVER take a trans to a shop to have it serviced. I not only save the money for labor; I know what I've got when I'm finished with it.

I prefer Motorcraft trans filters, but sometimes I grab a NAPA filter for the sake of time. Any comments on the qualiuty of NAPA trans filters would be appreciated.

I hear Amsoil trans fluid causes a harder shift, although it may not be doing any harm. I run nothing but Mobil One Mercon V full synthetic trans fluid. I have never tried Motorcraft MV. I used Castrol brand Mercon V before the days of Mobil One, and every trans I did with Castrol seemed happy with the change. But with Mobil One, provided I started out with a healthy trans, I could tell a definite improvement. There may be better fluids out there for more money, but I agree that Mobil One, for me anyway, is some excellent bang for the buck.

I do a complete torque converter drain and filter change every 30,000 miles with Mobil One, and replace the fluid in the pan at least once during the 30,000 mile service interval.

Do I spend too much on preventive maintenance? I don't think so. Not with the 4.6/4R70W. I have heard of '98 and newer Crown Vic taxicabs running well over 400,000 miles on the original trans, with crappy maintenance at best. I have heard of 4.6 engines running almost twice that in taxicabs without anything more than routine crappy maintenance.

Gotta love the 4.6/4R70W.

VMM

Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree. i have 123k on my 96 crown vic p71. its first 100k as a mass state cruiser. they took good care of it.i should easily get 200k. same deal with f150 132k and shifts great. 4.6 4r70w is a great powertrain.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The 4.6/4r70w may be great in a cop car or a cab, but if you have this in a *truck* and work it to death (tow more than it's rated for, etc.) you will have problems.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The 4.6/4r70w may be great in a cop car or a cab, but if you have this in a *truck* and work it to death (tow more than it's rated for, etc.) you will have problems.
Not all that true. Although i don't recommend going much over the rated weight, you def can. The rated weight they are giving is a very conservitive, safe estimate. With a few mods the little 4.6 can become a champ! I see these things doing all sorts of stuff the 5.4 boys claim only they can do! here is a quote from over in the Towing/Hauling threads:

I have a 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 \ 4.6 engine. supercab with 8.8 front and rear diff. 4.10:1 gears, 14"x12"x1.5" tranny cooler, transgo shift kit, detroit truetrac rear diff, gibson exhaust, K+N filter, Hellwig add-a leaf 2500lb springs.
Diablo predator tune running 87 octane. prodigy brake controller, 10,000lb weight dist. hitch. class IV hitch.
I pulled a fully loaded 8'x18' enclosed dual axle cargo trailer, total weight of cargo and trailer: 10,800 lbs. Pulled this load cross country, avg of 65 mph, and once coming through idaho, pulled through some pretty hilly country. 8600' elevation i belive. had to slow down to about 30 doin that climb.
took about 7 days to go from wa. state to florida.
--oh yeah, its a 4.6--
the tow was slow but i was pullin a hell of a load. as long as you take your time and drive carefully, and try not to put anyone else in danger, you should be just fine.
I would say that is well over our rated wieght, and for a whole lot longer that recomended! Back in the day, my dad towed a big ole 20' trailer up steep hills in a ford RANGER!!! So these trucks can do A LOT more than the factory says! And instead of destroying your drivetrain, it just means you have to take more pre-cautions and better upkeep!

Quick Reply: Is synthetic transmission fluid the way to go?