Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern California
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 171
Transmission cooler?

Good morning guys,
I was looking the other night and noticed that i have an extra 33"x3" cooler in front of the radiator, and was wondering if that was an extra transmission cooler that was put on my truck. Following the lines coming out of it, it looked like one went up to the radiator, and then a couple went back to the tranny. I'm getting ready to pull a trailer near the max towing rating, and didn't want to toast the tranny.

Truck Specs:
2006 F150
4.6, 3.55LS
Did not come w/towing package

Thank you,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by red06f150
Good morning guys,
I was looking the other night and noticed that i have an extra 33"x3" cooler in front of the radiator, and was wondering if that was an extra transmission cooler that was put on my truck. Following the lines coming out of it, it looked like one went up to the radiator, and then a couple went back to the tranny. I'm getting ready to pull a trailer near the max towing rating, and didn't want to toast the tranny.

Truck Specs:
2006 F150
4.6, 3.55LS
Did not come w/towing package

Thank you,
Nick
I beleive they all have an aux trannie cooler, though the vehicles with the tow package have a larger one. You might thing about replacing with the one that comes with the tow package or an aftermarket.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Puyallup, WA
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 4,126
33"x3" would be the A/C condensor off the top of my head....

An Aux trans cooler would be around 12"x2" and right up front???

If you followed the lines, then I can't say, but those diminsions are not what the 'standard' trans cooler would be.....

Mitch
__________________
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab EgoBoost Max Tow 3.73 gears OEM 20" wheels.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5
heres another question for you all, sorry for hijacking your thread but you may need the info too if you want to put a bigger one on:

when installing a tranny coller can you go too big? and ydo you need to bleed the system like you do with brake lines or will it bleed itself?

thanks for the info, just trying to make my truck better
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dracut, MA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 230
All new F150's have a tranny cooler, but the tow package comes with a larger one. Here's a pic of my non-towing package version. Not sure if its 33" long, but its a decent size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
04 Screw FX4 4x4 5.4L 3.73LS

AutoSpring 2" Leveling Kit, Procomp AAL, Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts
275/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Magnaflow 10416 dumped
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern California
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 171
That is exactly what mine looks like. Is that a transmission cooler, or the AC condensor that someone stated? I'm trying to decide if thats an uxillary one or if i should upgrade to a larger one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
That is the aux trannie cooler. Here is what one looks like if you have a tow package. If your are going to be near your tow limit, I suggest you get one this large or larger.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by kingfish51; 08-24-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern California
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 171
Thank you for verifying that kingfish. I was planning on getting a larger one, just probably not through ford, seeing as how they will be substantially over priced. You wouldn't happen to know the rough size of that would you? So i can make sure i have a similiar surface area.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by red06f150
Thank you for verifying that kingfish. I was planning on getting a larger one, just probably not through ford, seeing as how they will be substantially over priced. You wouldn't happen to know the rough size of that would you? So i can make sure i have a similiar surface area.
Not off the top of my head. I will try to get measurements when I get home.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern California
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 171
I appreciate that. Thank you,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Vehicle: 2004 FORD F150
Posts: 3,858
This thread is pretty helpful, another question, I have a cooler on my front diff cross member. I have the Tow Package, this cooler is way small and looks almost like an Oil cooler. What gives? any help is always appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dracut, MA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
This thread is pretty helpful, another question, I have a cooler on my front diff cross member. I have the Tow Package, this cooler is way small and looks almost like an Oil cooler. What gives? any help is always appreciated.
I believe that is the power steering cooler.
__________________
04 Screw FX4 4x4 5.4L 3.73LS

AutoSpring 2" Leveling Kit, Procomp AAL, Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts
275/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Magnaflow 10416 dumped
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
This thread is pretty helpful, another question, I have a cooler on my front diff cross member. I have the Tow Package, this cooler is way small and looks almost like an Oil cooler. What gives? any help is always appreciated.

Power steering cooler.

Click the image to open in full size.


Red06f150, size of the trannie cooler when you have the tow package is 23"wide by 6" high.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern California
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish51

Red06f150, size of the trannie cooler when you have the tow package is 23"wide by 6" high.
Thank you, and way to be on the ball with all the pictures!
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by red06f150
Thank you, and way to be on the ball with all the pictures!
Nick
Already had them in my gallery, from a post way back. Knew they would come in handy again.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:17 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details