4 wheel drive will not work...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 wheel drive will not work...

Okay so i hope this is the correct place to be posting this... the other day i went to pull my buddy out of a hole and my front tires would not turn... when i put the truck in 4 high and low, i could hear the motor click like it always has when it locks in and i could feel the rear had more power... well we got his truck out and put mine on jack stands and put it back in 4x4 and the front shaft will turn but the tires will not... i had some clicking in the cv axles before do you think they could both be broken or could it be my transfer case someone help with this please... i just had a lot of work done to the rear now the front is messed up please help... thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spanky55618
Okay so i hope this is the correct place to be posting this... the other day i went to pull my buddy out of a hole and my front tires would not turn... when i put the truck in 4 high and low, i could hear the motor click like it always has when it locks in and i could feel the rear had more power... well we got his truck out and put mine on jack stands and put it back in 4x4 and the front shaft will turn but the tires will not... i had some clicking in the cv axles before do you think they could both be broken or could it be my transfer case someone help with this please... i just had a lot of work done to the rear now the front is messed up please help... thanks
The center disconnect is not working. Possible cause are:
1. Engagement solenoid doesn't work. There are 2 solenoids on the firewall the send vacuum to the vacuum motor on the diff. If not working, no vacuum and no front engagement.
2. Vacuum leak on the lines, whether a crack or full break.
3. Vacuum motor broke.
4. Shift fork that engages the diff is broke.
5. mud and other debris causing the motor and fork not to be able to move.

Those are the most common causes of the problem.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Thats what happen 2 my 97, the gaskets and things were old and broke so there wasnt a good seal, replaced them and it worked better then ever

Old 07-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Put lockouts on it saves alot of headache in the long run.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by cre8ur
Put lockouts on it saves alot of headache in the long run.
It is a little difficult to do when you do not have hubs in the first place. All locking/unlocking of the 97-03 is done at the diff. Not the hubs. Front axles always turn, they are just not engaged at the diff to the front drive shaft. Only thing at the hubs are CV joints.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
It is a little difficult to do when you do not have hubs in the first place. All locking/unlocking of the 97-03 is done at the diff. Not the hubs. Front axles always turn, they are just not engaged at the diff to the front drive shaft. Only thing at the hubs are CV joints.
ahh I did not know that. that will be good info to put into memory though.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
The center disconnect is not working. Possible cause are:
1. Engagement solenoid doesn't work. There are 2 solenoids on the firewall the send vacuum to the vacuum motor on the diff. If not working, no vacuum and no front engagement.
2. Vacuum leak on the lines, whether a crack or full break.
3. Vacuum motor broke.
4. Shift fork that engages the diff is broke.
5. mud and other debris causing the motor and fork not to be able to move.

Those are the most common causes of the problem.
so if i took it to the shop to have it done how much do you think it would run? or how difficult is it to do any of these things i ve never worked on anything on the front end except a dodge ram straight axle...

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Checking things like the vacuum lines, whether the shift fork works, and debris blocking things from working can easily be done yourself. You can manually move the shift fork and see if it engages the the diff. After that you will probably need a vacuum gauge to see if the engagement solenoid is working properly.
As far as cost, not sure, but if you can eliminate some of the guesswork, then it will be cheaper.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 AM
ya.. i got under there today and just looked around for debris i didn't see anything i mean it was a couple of big mud chunks under there, but not much... i m going to get my buddy to look at it he knows a lot more then me bout it... thanks

Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 AM
so like i ve said before i know little to nothing about the front end i understand how it works just not how to problem solve with it... where are the vaccum hoses on the hubs and where is the solenoid mounted?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Read my post here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292776

Check out the photos I have of the complete system and components here:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...TECH/?start=20

(Note: the pink & blue lines in the vacuum actuator should be reversed from what's in the photo)

Old 07-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by spanky55618
so like i ve said before i know little to nothing about the front end i understand how it works just not how to problem solve with it... where are the vaccum hoses on the hubs and where is the solenoid mounted?
Number 10 is the vacuum motor/actuator/diaphragm, whatever terminology you wish to use.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Do a web search for the posi-lok F-150 cable. I replaced my 1997 factory 4X4 front axle disconnect with the posi-lok cable. It works great and can be installed in your back yard in about an hour or so.

John

Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by RTKGUY
Do a web search for the posi-lok F-150 cable. I replaced my 1997 factory 4X4 front axle disconnect with the posi-lok cable. It works great and can be installed in your back yard in about an hour or so.

John

This is it and the cheapest I've seen them is on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4x4-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Since my vacuum disconnect motor mount was broken I considered these bu I ended up making a piece to repair the mount, replaced a vacuum solenoid and now it works like new!

Last edited by ncranchero; 07-16-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 AM
thanks this has been a ton of help... appreciate all yall do for me...

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive will not work...