Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1989 Ford F150
Talking Sloppy shifter

I have an '89 F150 4x4 with the 5 speed OD trans, am I safe to assume that it has the M5R2 trans?
My problem is this...about 2-3 weeks ago I started having some problems getting it into reverse. Sometimes it would pop in nice like normal and other times it would not engage. This morning I went to go to work and the shifter is now having problems finding 1st, 3rd. It seems like when I try to go from 2nd to 3rd it goes over to OD. The shifter seems to be really sloppy (loose).
A friend told me to remove the boot and check where the shifter attaches to the transmission. Is this a common problem. I don't think it's a clutch or throwout bearing issue.
Any help would be cool!!!
Also does anyone know where I can find an exploded diagram of the shifter/transmission area.
Thanx Scott...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 Ford f150
amazing - I started having amost the same problem today. I lost first gear, shfiter is real loose feeling. Once you find a gear, it seems to run ok.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:37 AM
1983 Ford Bronco

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2007
...am I safe to assume that it has the M5R2 trans?
No. Check the TRANS code on the door sticker. "M" is the Mazda M5OD-R2.
Quote:
Is this a common problem.
Yes, especially if the trans isn't maintained on schedule, or if the fluid is allowed to get low. They're known to leak from the 3 plugs for the shift rails on top.
Quote:
...where I can find an exploded diagram of the shifter/transmission area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6
I started having amost the same problem...
Is yours a stick? If it's a column-shift, yours is totally different from pre-'92.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Mine is a 1995 f150 regular cab 4x4 with 5.0L, M5R2, manual shift transfer case. I am looking for all of the parts I would need to replace the shifter boot, shifter, etc. I have the ford service manaul and it doesn't shed a whole lot of light. Maybe there isn't a lot to shed. Looks like all I need is the shifter boot assembly and shifter.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1989 Ford F150
Thumbs up

Yes it is an M5R2 transmission.
The problem was one of the pivoting pins was broken at the base of the shifter and a broken bushing and spacer.
I did locate a shifter rebuild kit with the exact parts I needed from THEGEARBOX.ORG for under $30.00 (which for me up here in the great white north would have been over $45.00)
I decided to MacGyver it myself for a total cost of $0.75 and 1/2 hour of my time. It's shifting like new and the repair is something that will probably last the life of the truck now.
A quick rundown of what I did...
I replaced the pivot pins with 1/4" bolts (the type that are long enough that the threads acually start at least 1" down from the head). I cut them off just shorter than 1" long so that there are no threads on them and filed down a small portion of the top of the head just enough to fit under the lip of the original cover that screws onto the top of the transmission with the 3 torx screws.
My lower plastic bushing was ok but the top one was broken so I used a piece of 3/16" flat rubber I had laying around and cut a small shape like a washer 1 1/2" diameter that would fit over the bottom section of the shifter and rest on top of the ball. (I lubed the rubber with some grease first).
After reassembly I tightend a hose clamp around the 2 pivot pins and them wrapped it with shrink tape. It aint coming apart unless I want it to.
Hope this helps any one else out there....
Later...scott
Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Your fix was a whole lot cheaper than mine. I sprung for the Hurst Billet Plus replacement shifter and I can't begin to describe the difference. I looked at the old shifter and decided I didn't see anything worth saving. I really thought the transmission was going bad, but it was only the shifter. Now all I have to do is wait and see what breaks next week, it's been one of those months
Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 AM