M5OD 1st to 2nd shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question M5OD 1st to 2nd shifting problems

Thought i would see if any one could help me out. My other vehicle is a 93 ford explorer with manual M50D transmission. Last year i had a new clutch and put in with slave cylinder. Ever since then it seems like my 1 to 2 shift isnt right. The best i can describe it is like the clutch doesnt disengaged right away and i cant shift it in unless i give it a pause. It also makes a clank noise or something if you do it to fast. All other gears are fine. Any ideas on what this could possibly be?? I heard some one once say something about gyros beening off but i have no clue.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One problem that is fairly common in these M5OD's is the first to second syncro gear wearing out. These syncro's arent the greatest to begin with.. almost every 1st to 2nd gear shift in mine grinds unless i take my time and wait for everything to line up in the tranny. I can feel it not want to go in at first.. then its like i can feel something "click" in the tranny and it'll slip right in. I've heard that good synthetic ATF will help this problem a bit, but all i've used in mine is the cheap Napa stuff, i just know not to drive it to hard, and it does fine.

-Dave

Quick Reply: M5OD 1st to 2nd shifting problems