Overhauling an E4OD

Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhauling an E4OD

I discovered that my trans has been acting up, its slipping, I have no over drive, I am pulling 2000 rpm to move my truck at 50 mph, on my last trip to Cali I was doing 95 mph @ approx. 2750rpms, so maybe its the TC-Im almost certain of it, but since i have to pull the tranny out of the truck to replace the TC I may as well put new guts inside it, I have a buddy who has built several Trannys on his own. I can not afford to purchase a rebuilt Tranny, at the moment my fuel econo has dropped so the money I could be putting aside has to be spent on gas instead , I should have already saved up to purchase a new tranny, I thought the power-plant would be the first to go, well I was wrong there .

I just need to know if there are any Ford Specific Tools that I need to obtain to complete the tear down and assembly part. Who has the best Trans disassembly manual out there?

I would also like to know if there are any new updates for the 1998 version, I do plan to put in a shift kit but I do not know who has the best options or the best brand for that matter. I have a column mounted shifter so full manual setup is not desired. I do haul some extremely heavy loads for a 1/2 ton truck, I have thought about a trans Temp gauge but then I'm not sure why I would bother.

I have built a race ready 4L60 last summer it was not very difficult.

If anyone has other input I would like to hear it,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhauling an E4OD