Do I need a new Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Do I need a new Transmission?

I have been having trouble shifting into first and second gear on my 5spd and grinding a little bit when shifting into reverse. I took my truck to Firestone and they said I just needed a slave cylinder. I then took it to a transmission shop for a second opinion. Their labor rate was extremely cheap @ $89 for the entire job. They said I need a new transmission, but my hydrolics are fine. If I leave that shop to go to another one, I have to pay the $89 and it will cost $400 next time I come back as the special rate is over. My V6 and trans only have 130K miles with the original clutch. Should I spring $1700 for the new transmission and clutch?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, let me start with this. Most grinding problems I have seen with this trans has been with the shift forks and not the sycros. If you are guilty of driving with your hand on your shift lever, than your forks are going to be worn out. Shift forks are cheap compare to internal tranny work. The trans still has to come out, but the forks are on the top cover and come out as an assy. Let me add one last thing also. These trannys are bad about leaking, if it ran out of fluid then I would replace it. If not than I would take it somewhere that would do a teardown to see what it really needs.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new Transmission?