Monster Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monster Transmission

Does anyone have experience with Monster Transmissions?
Here is a link to the tranny I am considering buying this christmas:

http://racetransmissions.com/store/i...06d3ecac17fedb

Evidently Ford has done a good job on the 4r70w tranny as far as gear ratios go, however the valve body and pumps are a bit weak. The tranny retails for $1895. I have 151k and I never tow, however the tranny is showing signs of wear. There is a 1 or 2 second delay when shifting from park to reverse or drive. Additionally, the engine will rev to the redline before downshifting at highway speeds when attempting to pass.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Anyone with a clue?

Has anyone heard of monster transmissions?!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I have heard of them.
Yes Ford did short on good parts in these transmissions.
How do you know at this point what parts and improvement are done to the Monster trans? Find out!
Is it worthwhile to go beyond stock type at this point?
How long are you going to run your truck to make any extra, cost effective.
Maybe a 'good' stock rebuld would be the best choice at this point.
These are the thoughts I would be considering.
Not passing any judgements but been there and done it.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
I have heard of them.
Yes Ford did short on good parts in these transmissions.
How do you know at this point what parts and improvement are done to the Monster trans? Find out!
Is it worthwhile to go beyond stock type at this point?
How long are you going to run your truck to make any extra, cost effective.
Maybe a 'good' stock rebuld would be the best choice at this point.
These are the thoughts I would be considering.
Not passing any judgements but been there and done it.
I really appreciate any insight you have to offer. I got the truck with 56k on it so Ihave been driving her for alomost 100k. I plan to run it in the ground. I have all new premium suspoension, plugs, etc.... I want to get the troyer custom tune and replace my hypertech III. This is what I have and plan to do. Lend me your advice on trannys after reading when you can.

Current:
k&n drop in filter
jba 3.5" single side exhaust (i am totally happy with this product btw!)
4 new cats
hypertech III 87 tuning
3:55 rear end I believe.

Coming soon!
under drive pulleys
af1 intake
troyer tune

So thats it. She runs much better than stock now and I may be towing a 16-18ft boat next year. I have heard that transgo kits have a short shelf life. I am a steay driver and I really dont push her hard. In fact I keep it at 70 or less on the freeway and try not to exceed 3000rpm when accelerating, keeping it between 2000 and 2500 rpm. On occasion I "play" but nothing stupid. Is there a rebuild you can reccommend?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is some insight.
A tuner and custom tune can make your shifts more precision with less soft shifing and slip.
However a shift kit such as the Factory Tech plate mod will do the shift improvements directly in the trans without doing it from a software tune only and not get the benifits from the trans mods.
You shouldnot/can't do both of these togather (use a tuner and a trans mods) to achive pressure increases in the trans for quick shifting purposes.
But trans mods otherwise when rebuilding useing better clutch discs, bands, improved pump and other parts are fine and should be done if possible.
To be clear, there are tuner initiated shift points that can be changed without concern for the above pressure increase methods used.
Troyer will go over all this with you, just ask when you inquire about a tune.
Just remember to consider that when these changes are made you will use them to satifaction and this in it'self causes durability to come into question over the long term.
It's called play and pay.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Very true!

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Here is some insight.
A tuner and custom tune can make your shifts more precision with less soft shifing and slip.
However a shift kit such as the Factory Tech plate mod will do the shift improvements directly in the trans without doing it from a software tune only and not get the benifits from the trans mods.
You shouldnot/can't do both of these togather (use a tuner and a trans mods) to achive pressure increases in the trans for quick shifting purposes.
But trans mods otherwise when rebuilding useing better clutch discs, bands, improved pump and other parts are fine and should be done if possible.
To be clear, there are tuner initiated shift points that can be changed without concern for the above pressure increase methods used.
Troyer will go over all this with you, just ask when you inquire about a tune.
Just remember to consider that when these changes are made you will use them to satifaction and this in it'self causes durability to come into question over the long term.
It's called play and pay.
Pay and Play is right!
I have to correct my previous post. Upon a little investigation beyond the original INCORRECT sticker, I have the 3.08 rear end which pretty much bites.. ughhhhh. As for the tranny, I am want a daily driver that will be durable and reliable. It sounds like to me that I should get a quality rebuild and use the programmer to "increase the shift firmness". Hypertech makes a noticeable difference however I was afraid I was stressing my tranny to much in her old age so I returned her to the stock transmission settings. I imagine I will move to the troyer tune in the next few months. Right now I want to get the tranny squared away and replace the rear end as the 3.08 is really a dog. I am looking to go 3.73 as I hope to be pulling the boat next summer and the majority of my miles are racked up on 10 to 15 mile commutes. I know alot of folks here knock the Hypertech, however I drove my truck stock for four years and I will say that both the 87 and 93 tunes require far less throttle when gett ing up to speed. I cant wait to see what the rear end will add!
Thanks for taking the time to educate me. I will send some really good Karma your way buddy!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a tranny expert (disclaimer), but after my son and one of my friends have "blown" their expy trannies due to weak components. I would definately want to know the actual upgrades to these trans before putting out the extra $$. Both these guys had normal rebuilds with upgraded gears and have good luck with them at much less cost than you are looking at. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

Quick Reply: Monster Transmission