Factorty tech seperator plate questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factorty tech seperator plate questions?

Hi all, I have just purchased a Factory tech seperator plate, and a shop manual and am ready to install my plate. Afte reading the directions and looking at the service manual the process seems logical. However after reading the diredtion some minor questions come into mind. Any assistance is appreciated.

1) Directions say remove 2-3 accumulator spring. Isn't spring pressure needed to hold the piston and bottlecap from moving?

2) In the 1-2 port the directions say to replace the inner spring with the brown and for mild shift install the Ford outer spring, not springs. If I re-install these springs do I install both the inner and outer or just one? Also I hear that some people take the inner spring they just removed from the 2-3 port and put it into the lower of the 1-2. Which method to most prefer (2-3 spring install or the 1-2 spring install)?

3) Is there a top and bottom to the plate?

Thanks

Chris

Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
1. No the spring is not required just make sure the "bottlecap" is properly installed.

2. I prefer to use the inner spring from the 2-3 in most of these.

3. Yes, but the plate will only go on one way you can't accidentally flip it over wrong.
Alan

Old 05-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the information.

Chris

Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Ok folks, I just re-read the installation instructions and a couple of things do not make sense.

1st. the instructions say to replace (A new one?) the stiffner plate and the bolt that hold the plate to the casting. Is the stiffner plate the same as as the valve body plate as Ford refers to it? (Why wouldn't I just want to reinstall the plate I just took off?)

2nd. Instructions say to install the NEW main control assy. What the heck they talking about. Why can't I install the one I just took out?

3rd The instructions do not say anything about installing a new valve body plate gasket. Should I replace this or not?

I have reviewed the tranny schematic from ford several times and here is what I gather.

1) Remove tranny pan bolts, pan, gasket and filter
2) Remove the bolts that hold the valve body plate, gasket,main control assy, valve converter drainback gasket, separator plate and gasket.

3) Put on new gasket, seperator plate, Valve convertor drainback main control assy, old valve body gasket, and the bolts.
4) Install filter, gasket, pan bolts.

Thanks
Chris

Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 AM
01 is a touchy year. Most 01 transmissions have 2 stiffner paltes instead of 3 like all of the previous models. All later model transmissions only have 2.The bottlecap in the direct accumulator bore must match the valvebody. Gregg calls te valvebdy a main control, as I call the components of a torque converter the impeller,stator and turbine. It's just different terminology for the same thing.
Alan

Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow

I just did this mod tonight...only thing i say is ensure you have lots of trannie fluid! Around 2 gallons...I had just over one! One thing i did find was a broken spring on the 1-2 lower. Here is a pic.

I installed it like everyone has been suggesting. Leaving no spring in 2-3 and using 2-3 in the lower 1-2. It works like a champ! Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Factorty tech seperator plate questions?