Help Belt Squeal Noise Off Trani ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Belt Squeal Noise Off Trani ???

hI all .... I have an 2004 f150 fx4 with the 5.4 triton motor, here in the UK and have a problem ! Their is a constant squeel from the trany area that sound like a belt slipping or bearing type noise !!!!
I have taken the serpentine belt off completely and it is deffinatly NOT belt or pully related as the noise is there with the belt removed and the engine started. The same noise is there regardless of engine RPM gear selection inc N & P ... The only way to reduce it is to hold the truck on its brakes and load the torque converter until the truck is trying to pull away and then it goes away but as soon as i lift off the brakes and drive the noise is back..... constantly... Limited knowledge of these in the UK so all pointers will be greatfully received as it is driving me nuts !!!!! drives fine and tow's 3 ton no problem just this dam squeel .... Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a torque converter problem to me. I would drop the pan and do an inspection.
Alan

Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Torque Converter?

Thanks for the respose Alan if it is the torque converter i just dont understand how in a fluid flywheel could make the noise I do not doubt it could well be that, just trying to understand ? Box works fine shifts are strong and good ! with no issues just so damn noisey everyone on the sidewalk can here it !!!!!!

No oil leaks and wondered if it could be a valve or something in the box ? sounds like a dry pulley bearing or noisey pump? but as stated does it with the belt fully removed so absolutly not engine pulleys or a/c pump etc etc

Is there any way to test the torque converter ?

Quick Reply: Help Belt Squeal Noise Off Trani ???