4r70w shifts good, wrong times???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r70w shifts good, wrong times???

Hey all...
just finished dropping in a new 4.6 longblock, radiator,heater and torque converter..
I must say with the locally rebiult converter , filter and valvoline mercronV..
convertr clutch seems smooth again..no shudder

here is what i can tell so far...all gears seem to shift ok, no slipping..

1 -2 seems fine

sometimes 3rd gear starts off with that binding sensation then clears out as you biuld speed with a steady foot.sometimes surging in and out of that binding sensation....at first i thought converter lock up to early but i am not entirely convinced just yet...
i do seem to be getting lockup in both 3rd and 4th
it really feels as though its not gettin the signal to downshift, or rather shifting to early..
i do seem to have to give too much throttle before a downshift

alot of symptoms going on here, not sure they are all related..i hope its all in control, vss, tps, electronics ion the valve body

i really dont think its internal, but i am unsure..first all electronic tranny
i am used to gm and ford detent cable
also had that heavy foot from a dead stop thing happen...goes nettral, then as soon as i let off the thing grabs and barks the tires...some crazy stuff

it seems like electric control to me, just dont know enough about these trannys to be sure..

any ideas of where to start
?
i have tried the brake switch test with the tcc, sometime i can feel it unlock, other times i wasnt sure..

most of the things i have read about here, are tcc solenoid, some kinda solenoids in the tranny, accumulator and spring(is this for 1-2)

tps

should i be checking any of these specifically...i want to try as hard as a i can before giving up and dropping it at the local tranny shop..
the long block has really hurt the wallet....

also have a hypertech programer from my buds 2000 v10 350

the plug is the same, but soemthing tells me i cant use it on the 98 4.6

well sorry for the jumbled mess,
but hope i can get to the bottom of this with out an overhaul...

thanks so much
Chris

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Best we can do is see some tel-tail signs and give some opinion.
1. There are several differnt converter stalls for 4r70 application. How do you know what you got?
2. The PCM controls shifting as it always did. If the trans has problems shifting, it's the trans.
3. The tuner may change shift tune on top of trans faults. You get confusing operation. Work it all out on stock tune first.
4. Lock up can be seen if there is a tach to watch as you drive. The rpm will change several hundred in unlock and seem to lock the needle to the engine instead of the throttle when in lockup.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 05-13-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
are you using the V-10 tuner on the 4.6?????

Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey Bluegrass, tarajerame,

thanks for the response

as far as the converter , they were suposed to rebiuld mine...hopefully this didnt require any stall changes,..it seems to be ok for the truck..

as far as the tuner, i really dont know what they are about, i thought i could use it to change it back to stock..

i guess the next question is, can the stock calibration go out of wack???

as far as lock up, i can here and feel the rpm change and load, so i am pretty scertain lock up is functioning properly..

and for the V-10 tuner, i havnt used it, but should have inquired rather if it could be used on the 4.6..
i was hoping to set it to stock if it was out of wack, but even if i had the proper tuner i dont think it works that way..

still stumped for now, though its hard to say,.. slowly , it seems the wacky shifts are becoming less and less, as if it is smoothing out a bit...

thanks to all
still investigating
Chris

Quick Reply: 4r70w shifts good, wrong times???