Very LOUD 'Rattling"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very LOUD 'Rattling"

Hello all, I'm new to posting here. I searched the threads but found nothing on the type of noise I'm getting on my 05 SCREW FX4 with 4R75E. It sounds like a baby's rattle, but extremely loud!!! It started last week and has been getting progressively worse. Only happens when tranny is in gear and accellerating...(FORD told me Cam Phasers....I believe the noise is tranny related). No apparrant shifting problems. At any speed, it makes the noise but disappears when i let off the accellerator or put into neutral. Any advise would help! Thanks!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey there....I'm about 99% sure this is the same problem I ran into recently. I installed a leveling kit on my buddies 04 screw. During the process I accidentally knocked off a vaccuum line that goes to the front hubs. I had to search on here to verify but it was the loss of vaccuum that was making the hubs try to engage and grind, only during acceleration. Check behind your steering knuckles, just above to cv boot, you will see a rubber vaccuum hose. Check to make sure they are pushed on all the way.
Another problem I have read about on here is the solenoid starting to go bad. That I have no idea how to change or even where it is located, but i guess it produces the same symptoms. You may want to do a search on that topic if the hoses look ok. Keep up posted on what you find....

Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Just an update for you, I did a quick search and found a thread with your same problem, here is the link for that https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=grinding

Old 05-06-2007, 10:19 PM
tmd07: You NAILED it bro! took it out for a drive and put in 4 H...no more noise. Brought it back home and started checking my lines. I found a hole chaffed in a vacume line coming out of the solenoid you mentioned behind the battery. A few wraps with elec. tape and a test drive...NO MORE NOISE!!! You rock! Thanks for saving me a trip to the dealer tomorrow! I think the tape will hold until I can get a new line ordered. I had the problem for a couple weeks (got worse the past few days), do you think there could be any damage to my hubs from the hubs trying to engage? It went into 4H just fine...didn't try 4L. Thanks again tmd07...if you lived close by, I'd happily buy you a few

Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey there...glad to help out-thats what this forum is about, helping, getting help and getting ideas! I would maybe call a dealer about possible damage from the noise. I'm not sure how that mechanism works. It is possible there may be some metal chips in the hub now?? But not sure. Maybe someone on here can help you with that question. By the way I live in Massachusetts

Old 05-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by tmd07
Hey there...glad to help out-thats what this forum is about, helping, getting help and getting ideas! I would maybe call a dealer about possible damage from the noise. I'm not sure how that mechanism works. It is possible there may be some metal chips in the hub now?? But not sure. Maybe someone on here can help you with that question. By the way I live in Massachusetts

I got the same problems with my 2006 super crew F-150. I would put the truck into 4x4 and I would hear an awful grinding noise for a few seconds and it would go away. Then when I put my truck back into 2wd, I wouldn't hear anything different (like it wasnt coming out of 4x4) until I actually put the truck into Neautral and coasted a bit and then it would come out of 4x4. The dealer replaced the hubs and solenoids and it fixed it for a few days. Now I get the same noise when engaging 4x4, but after I put it back into 2wd it sounds like I am dragging a string of cans under my truck for about 15 seconds. I guess it's back to the shop. I have had this truck new since Dec 06, and this is now the 2nd time back to shop. Hopefully there won't be a 3rd time or they can keep it.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow. You guys are awesome. I had the same exact problem with my 05 screw with a 5.4. I have an appt with the dealer this evening and will tell them to check the vac line and solenoid.

Question for those who experienced this problem - did you also notice a delayed shift in reverse? A combination of the rattle and delay makes me think I cooked the transmission when I was towing my camper (8,000 lb GVWR travel trailer). Just wondering.

Thanks again guys. As you can see, I don't post much, but gain a ton of info from here. Hopefully one day I can add something of value to the group.

Quick Reply: Very LOUD 'Rattling"