Lurching at 60+mph in Overdrive

Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lurching at 60+mph in Overdrive

I have a '99 F150 4.6 automatic with about 96k miles on her. The truck has not been abused, but she is a truck has done her share of towing and hauling

While on a trip from Savannah to Atlanta and back (flat land to hills and valleys) at about 60 mph the most painful lurching popped up, it wasnt constant (at the same time the "Service Engine Soon" light came on) it was most noticable when trying to accelerate up a hill (such as when it auto switched into Overdrive). On the trip home we tried driving it with the overdrive turned off, and the problem was almost non-exsistent, though it did lurch at about 75mph as it got up to speed.

Once we returned to the flat land of coastal GA, even with the overdrive back on the lurching was nominal. At normal in town road speeds today, everything seems normal, with the exception of the service engine soon light. I am going to plug it into a diag computer to see what caused that to come on, but I was hoping that someone here might offer some advice about the transmission..

My husband is very mechanically inclined and experienced at replacing transmissions, but we are hoping to avoid that if possible. Any recommendations?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I would see what codes were set first, but I suspect you will find misfire codes.

I am sure checking the codes will lead you in the right direction.

cya

Old 04-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Yep, you have an engine misfire, not a tranny problem.

Probably time for new plugs and wires.

Do get the codes read so you have a solid starting point for your diagnostics.

Steve

Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I am relieved to know that it is not the transmission.
We think it may have been bad fuel. I put 2 bottles of water treatment in it, it ran pretty crappy, back fired and the check engine light went off, but all seems well now. It does need a tune up though. That is next!

Thanks again, I love my truck and plan of keeping it as long as I can. It is nice to know there is some where I can go besides the dealer or repairshop for advice.

Kelly

Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Even if the light goes off on its own, go get the codes read anyway. That way you will know why it was on and you won't have to guess about all the possibilities as to what set it.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lurching at 60+mph in Overdrive