Downshifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downshifting problem

I have a 2000 4.6 4wd auto o/d. Ive noticed that if i stop on it at certain times it wont downshift to a low gear and it is starting to **** me off. I have to be around 1500 rpm for iit to really kick down. ANy suggestions?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
It's a long shot guess but check that the TPS is engaged with the throttle shaft paddle so it moves with the throttle application.
The engine will appear to run without the TPS engaged but screws up the shift points. and no codes are set from this condition.
Shifting is a lot determined by the TPS action as well as engine loads and trans VSS inputs.
Since the trans is electric controlled, it's down shift signals are not on sked unless there is a fault in the trans causing the lack of action.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The transmission can only do what its told to do. It doesn't make any of the decisions about shifting. All of that is controlled by the PCM so you need to get your PCM to tell the transmission to do what you want it to do.

Sounds like its time to think about calling Troyer for a tune

But I do agree with the TPS and maybe a bad MLPS if this is a new problem.

Darrin

Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM
My gf has the same setup, 4.6 auto 4x4. When cruising, I'm guessing about 1500 rpm (XL hss no tach) and then giving it more gas to tackle a hill or pass...there's a bad hesitation, then a clunk then it takes off. THis does not happen from a dead stop. I've changed the plugs and COPS so I doubt that's it. She used to drive this thing with the OD off all the time except the highway. She said the sales guys told her to Not sure where to start looking.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 AM
i always drive with o/d on. Its seems to shift better this way.

Quick Reply: Downshifting problem