T-case stuck in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-case stuck in 2wd

Recently bought a '93 XLT with the 5.0 V8, E4OD, and 4x4. Thing is, I can't move the t-case shifter out of 2hi. Just last week I saw the previous owner give it a little yoink (like no effort at all) and it slipped into 4hi and the light came on. Said 4lo hadn't been used in at least 5 years(as long as he's owned it, and never used it). Said 4hi was used every so often but not really regularly. Didn't come with a manual.

I got underneath and checked the linkage. It looked like it had been moved recently(which it had), but I sprayed WD40 on all the joints anyway. I would really like 4lo to work, but I can't even move the handle at all. The p.o was able to stuff it into 4hi with it stopped as long as the motor was running.

The handle is totally stuck. It won't move in any direction, no play whatsoever. I tried backing up a ways (even though I thought that was for if it was stuck in 4wd, not 2) to no avail. Tried shifting while moving, the shifter is still stuck solid. Makes me think it's the shifter and not the case, espically since I saw it go into 4wd a week ago and it hasn't been driven since.

I just don't get it. I'll fiddle with it a bit, but am afraid to really yank on it because I've heard the linkage is fairly easy to break and that's the last thing I want to do.

Quick Reply: T-case stuck in 2wd