How many of you have hesitation accelerating from a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How many of you have hesitation accelerating from a stop?

How many of you with the Ford 4 speed automatic tranmissions made from 2004 to 2007 have noticed a delay or hesitation when accelerating from a dead stop at a stop light?

My dealer claims this is normal is it?

Hesitation also occurs when entering Interstate and attempting to get up to the posted speed limit engine will hesitate or stall RPM's rise but speed does not increase even with the gas petal 1/2 way to the floor board.

Thank you

Old 04-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
This seems to be a wide spread issue accross all lines of trucks now.
The trucks have complex electronic throttle control driven by software with seperate processor and software.
The software involves guards against run-away, torque control and attempts at further emission control and fuel mileage gains.
There in, is your hesitation.
I cannot see how the customers now accepts this amount of hesitation since this system began to be used, because it is presenting dangerous conditions at times, while driving.
A dealer tech care to say how it is being addressed, if at all?
I know it can be greatly improved with after market programming but a truck under warrenty has to accept this for 36,000 miles or time up.
Not something I would acept.
If I got rear ended from a deal like this, or could not blend into highway traffic from a ramp and got hit due to no throttle response, somebody would be paying beyond just fixing the truck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 04-20-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
This seems to be a wide spread issue accross all lines of trucks now.
The trucks have complex electronic throttle control driven by software with seperate processor and software.
The software involves guards against run-away, torque control and attempts at further emission control and fuel mileage gains.
There in, is your hesitation.
I cannot see how the customers now accepts this amount of hesitation since this system began to be used, because it is presenting dangerous conditions at times, while driving.
A dealer tech care to say how it is being addressed, if at all?
I know it can be greatly improved with after market programming but a truck under warrenty has to accept this for 36,000 miles or time up.
Not something I would acept.
If I got rear ended from a deal like this, or could not blend into highway traffic from a ramp and got hit due to no throttle response, somebody would be paying beyond just fixing the truck.
Good points - I wish Ford had that "fly by wire" stuck where the sun doesn't shine. Give me my throttle body/cable back.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 So Comfort
Good points - I wish Ford had that "fly by wire" stuck where the sun doesn't shine. Give me my throttle body/cable back.
Hi.

X2 - bluegrass is right on as usual.

Thr dilemma, of course, is that it's been proven without doubt that ETC can shine - witness the near-perfect throttle response improvements available via custom tuning, or even by a good canned device like the Edge.

So - is is evidently possible to achieve the same results in a factory calibration.

Indeed, some folks who have specifically requested a reflash for an outstanding 'hesitation' TSB have reported an improvement. However some have also reported none - it appears not all PCM calibrations respond the same.....

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know if any in the Mustang community (4.6 3V ETC) have similar impressions, or if it's confined to just the truck line ... in other words, is Ford being overly conservative in a truck's programming versus their 'sports cars'...

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-20-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey Guys,

I have had numerous customers with trucks complain about throttle response but have not yet had a mustang owner or other vehicle customer complain about throttle response.

As stated above, sometimes the reflash works and the customer is happy, but many times the customer wishes me to go further, but there is no where else to go. I unfortunatly can not re design the vehicle to react properly, hence the reason I still drive a 2001 F-150. I cannot stand the throttle response of the 04 up trucks. The strange thing is some are better than others, but too many are still not right.

Anyway, not that this helps the situation, but it seems custom programming is the way to go.

cya

Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for posting your experiences with the situation.
I to won't consider a newer Ford truck until this has been resloved.
I have heard of some 07 Sport Traks with 4.6L that have this issue.
It's just a shame to have to put up with such an intentional product design.
I suspect there may be some reluctance to solve this to even a reasonable degree because of possible liability issues with run-aways, and the loss of supposed enhancement in fuel mileage and added longevity that has been attempted by using excessive engine mangement methods.
In the PCM program, it is my understanding the engine mangement can be substantially turned off at least in the pre 04 programs.
With this later design i'm not sure yet what is done.
As voice in the wilderness it behooves me to see why some of these design features can't be made physically selective. If I were a company I would be thinking it would surely be a selling point over other manufacturers.
But as most should know, the board room over rules common sense marketing to the point the company has to bring in another CEO to do wild things after opertunity is lost.
Any one for a Tundra and the likes.

Quick Reply: How many of you have hesitation accelerating from a stop?