Please help me, Transmission trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please help me, Transmission trouble!!!

My 1998 f150 4wd auto trans (with 4.6 v8) is not taking off immediately upon putting it into drive. It goes when I give it more gas. It is almost like letting the clutch out. I changed filter and put in new fluid but problem is still there. I added some additive cleaner called seafoam. Now problem is worse than before. I put it into drive and it just sits there until it is revved to 2200 rpm then it slowly engages and works ok until I come to a full stop or take it out of gear. Reverse engages and works without any hesitation. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read addatives are bad for these transmissions. Sounds like you need a new torque converter.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it do it only in drive, or also in reverse? If the truck does eventually go it can't be the torque converter. A torque converter either works or it doesn't. I think you have a destroyed forward clutch.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The transmission either needs to be rebuilt or its low on fluid.

Check the fluid level with the engine running and the vehicle either in park or neutral with the parking brake applied for safety. If its low, like off the dipstick low, you will need to add fluid until it shows full and then hold the brake and put it into reverse and rev it just a little until you feel the vehicle pull against the brake then drop it to drive and do the same. Then drop it to manual 2nd and manual first doing just a little rev in each of those gears just like you did in reverse and drive. Only rev it enough to just feel the vehicle pull against the brakes. Leave the engine running, set the parking brake and get out and check your fluid level again. Add and repeat as needed.

The most important thing to know when checking the fluid is to look all the way around the dipstick. If you only have fluid on one side or part of it then that is not the fluid level. That is just fluid that rubbed off of the dipstick tube. The fluid level is the point where there is a clear line of fluid all the way around the dipstick.

Darrin

Quick Reply: Please help me, Transmission trouble!!!