Bad Whine is 1st Gear....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Whine is 1st Gear....

My truck has a serious whine issue in 1st gear. As soon as it shifts the whine goes away. Its been doing it since i bought it (about 2 years ago) and i thought i would get used to it, but it is really starting to annoy me now and any passengers i have in the vehicle. With the windows up i cant even hear my cat-back system because the whine is soo loud. I've dropped the tranny pan and drained to TC last year and filled back up with Mercon V, which didn;t help at all. I thought maybe the diff, but that had a fluid change when i bought it and i would think if the diff was the problem, then it would whine in all gears. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a whine on my 98 F150 5.4. It's been around for a few years and I thought it was an accessory until I pulled the serp. belt and it still did it. I'd like to know what it is also, drives me crazy.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's called gear noise. The 4R70W is famous for it.

The only way to make it go away is to change the gears in the trans. And then it's a crapshoot if you get a set the is better, the same, or worse.

Quick Reply: Bad Whine is 1st Gear....