4x4 light solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 light solenoid

Hello!
Where is the 4x4 light solenoid located? Is it integrated to the electrical motor, that shifts the transfer case?

4x4 Hi and 4x4 Lo are working perfectly, but no light is illuminated in the dash. Sometimes it comes on for a second and then goes out again. So I thought I'm gonna take a look at the light solenoid. I pulled the codes as well and got transfer case solenoid error, can not remember the exact code tho.

2004 FX4
Jack from Estonia

Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
There's no such thing as a "light solenoid".

The light is controlled by the PCM.

Steve

Old 04-02-2007, 02:37 AM
And PCM is getting the signal from where?
Any ideas where I could find electrical drawings for the 2004 F150?

Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 AM
I used the magical search tool and I found some useful information here:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=4x4+light

So the PCM does get the input from the contact plate at the shift motor. Tho in my case it is interesting, if it gets the signal to stop the motor at 4HI, then why it will not turn on the light? Same applies to 4LO.

I could really use the wiring diagram, so I could do some testing on the wires down there. Maybe it has bad grounding connection. I should get the light on, if I manually ground some wires.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I tooked the transfer case motor contact plate to apart and found Position 1 contact to be damaged. I suppose it was so at the day one when it was assembled, someone who put this together damaged the contact while parting the plate switch together. During the usage it only got worse and then stopped working completely at 4LO. Now I fixed the contact and at least I can force the motor to 4LO, tho there seems to be some problems with the lineup what I have to research.

You can easily put the thing together, by applying some sealant or glue. I decide to use sealant and make little plastic welds to hold the thing togehter. Now I can take it apart again if needed.

Anyway, here are the pics:

And here is the contact plate. I marked the 2wd, 4hi and 4lo lineups as well.

Quick Reply: 4x4 light solenoid